Like Tree10Likes

craft beer / microbrewery beers in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    HC - We have to do a joint Hop Leaf ( Hong Kong Beer Shop By Hop Leaf ) and GeoExpat party one of these days.

Their stuff is far superior to what El Grande puts out in its bars.
    I've been very pleased with Hop Leaf. Subscription plan is great for a new beer every month. Delivery is fast and beers are great. My only gripe is they don't offer a variety pack subscription... So that every month you get 24 beers consisting of 3 or 4 varieties.

How does the subscription thing work? Can you choose styles (stout, amber, pilsner, golden etc.)?

Been getting deliveries from Belgianbeers.com.hk but the more variety the better

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    How does the subscription thing work? Can you choose styles (stout, amber, pilsner, golden etc.)?
    no...currently its a random selection made by HopLeaf, i think they said they have like 15 beers in rotation. So you can do a 1 year (or 6 month) subscription to et 12 beers (or 24 beers) per month delivered. Each month is a new beer.

check out their website...not their FB page. I hate when people refer to FB pages for businesses.

I've still not managed to try Typhoon Still, my choice cold drink on a hot day is Discovery, quite a few places have it and tastes good from a bottle.

If you are able to import stuff from Russian River Brewing or Founders Brewing, I am all ears.

I wish I could import from Russian River, but they barely send outside California, and never outside the US. Your best bet is to stash some back on your trips back home.

Try the Hop House in Wan Chai. American style bar with a decent selection of American beers. Not sure about Fat Tire but they have anchor steam and likes. Decent price, I believe around $44 a piece.

CitySuper is the only retail shop that stocks a selection of American craft beers. There's Sierra Nevada (Torpedo IPA, Pale Ale, Stout, Kellerweiss and some occasional specials like Bigfoot Ale), Anchor (Steam, Porter, Stout, Bock) and a couple of the Brooklyn lagers.

Otherwise, you'll have to order directly from Hop Leaf or Americraft. The Globe currently has a special on American craft brews from both of those importers. El Grande bars (Hop House, Hong Kong Brewhouse, Fatt's Place, Happy Valley Bar and Grill, East End Brewery) also have some Anderson Valley beers which are good.

You can also explore unfamiliar beers. There are dozens of great British craft beers on sale at the Beer Bay (Central ferry piers 3 and 4), like St. Austell's Admiral Ale, Bluebird Bitter, Ridgeway IPA, etc. They typically aren't as assertive as American beers but they're no less complex in their flavours.

wizardofoz likes this.

Should also add that if you're interested in Belgian beers, you can order online from belgianbeer.com.hk. They have the same brews you'll find at the Globe or Frites but at a fraction of the price. Some really good stuff that is even hard to find in the US.