Like Tree10Likes

craft beer / microbrewery beers in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

craft beer / microbrewery beers in Hong Kong

Hi All,

I just recently moved to HK from California, and realized there are not many (if any) craft beers from the States that has a presence in Hong Kong. I'm interested to bring some over, do you guys think it will receive a good welcoming from folks that want a taste of home, or if the Hong Kong locals would enjoy this type?

I have been craving for some of these beers per below and can't find them, anyone know where in Hong Kong I can grab a bottle of these? What do you guys think if these were avaialble in Hong Kong?

Speakeasy Prohibition Ale
    Arrogant Bastard Ale
    Fat Tire
    Blue Moon

.... just to name a few

Why not try the local versions? Try T8 at the Globe in Mui Wo, for example.

See here for more details: http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/...howdown-767038

yea, i have heard of this, haven't had the chance to try it yet though. Aside from Mui Wo, d othey serve it at any local bars here? Like Hong Kong Brew house?

Locals don't know beer other than what you can buy in 711. Most of the non-industrial beers are sold only at The Globe, Frites, HK Brewhouse and to a lesser extent a handful of other pubs. Haven't seen those 4 at any of those places, not much American stuff, mostly British and Belgian.

US craft beers / microbrews

Would anyone be interested in craft beers from the US?
    I see a lot of microbrews from the UK and Beilgium, but not much from the US.
    If anyone is in the know, there ARE quality beers from the US (NOT Budwesier/Coors/etc.)

If more US microbrews were made available in HongKong, would it be well received?
    I'm thinking of importing some from the States, please let me know if it is worthwhile!

Why bother importing when you can get virtually the same from HK waterworks, aka the tap?

Have you been to City Super Shatin Branch?

They sometimes carry micro-brews from the USA.

Basically HK lives off 'cooking beer' such as Bud, Fosters, San Miguel, Heineken.

There probably is a niche for imported micro-brews if you can make it simple to get hold of them e.g. online order and DELIVERY at sociable hours.

I've never been a big fan of USA beers either, but I can speak from recent experience that they are no longer all 'like making love in a canoe'.
    Arrogant Bastard in particular!
    The Stone beers are also pretty good. Stone Ruination does just what it says on the label.
    Whether there would be a viable market for them in HK is another matter.

dot.zen

Quote Originally Posted by mingazoid:
    Hi All,

I just recently moved to HK from California, and realized there are not many (if any) craft beers from the States that has a presence in Hong Kong. I'm interested to bring some over, do you guys think it will receive a good welcoming from folks that want a taste of home, or if the Hong Kong locals would enjoy this type?

I have been craving for some of these beers per below and can't find them, anyone know where in Hong Kong I can grab a bottle of these? What do you guys think if these were avaialble in Hong Kong?

Speakeasy Prohibition Ale
    Arrogant Bastard Ale
    Fat Tire
    Blue Moon

.... just to name a few
    Ummm....there are quite a few places doing this already...

Hong Kong Beer Shop By Hop Leaf

Americraft Imports

just to name a few
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Beer in Asia is viewed primarily as working class, whereas wine ( Bordeaux etc.....aaarrrgghh!!!! There are other decent wines for your money!!!) is heavily marketed as luxury. While there are plenty of boutique beer connoisseurs in HK, it is primarily within the westerner niche. HKers and mainlanders are viewed as being geared towards luxury and status. Like keeping face.

Personally, being a wine lover, most days of this type of weather, I would prefer an ice cold beer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast