Like Tree1Likes

feather boa -- absolutely racist

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mat, you're spot on. If you think the place is racist...then just don't go. Bring your money elsewhere....

I agree with Mat... why would one go to a place that does not want you? At the end of the day, the owner figures who they want on their premises and who they don't want .. its not public property.

I'm just glad I don't go to the posh pretty people places...

By the way, most African countries are banned from GeoExpat ... on some of our sites, India and China are banned -- no exceptions. Does that make us racist?

Our decision is simple .. if a country has a low signal to scam/spam ratio .. its banned. Commercial decision ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Move on, they do not like you, you just don't go and go somewhere else....seriously who cares whether people can enter that bar or another because of skin, language or else.

There are plenty of bars in HK..if this one do not want you then it is probably a place you will not like either, so just go elsewhere and that's it...

Sorry for being a bit "rude" but over the past few years heard so many of those complains that it gets frustrating at the end...
    Because the bar used to be great before everyone caught on and started muscling in? Because the drinks are good and we enjoyed the environment, before all the investment bankers with their mistresses and trophy wives decided to move in and make it their own?

Maybe because we're tired of having to find a new place that we like, tired of continually moving around to different bars just because it got a post in the Tatler and is now overrun with the beautiful people?

The Boa used to be a great place to hang out with a few friends, sip some martinis, and escape from the bustle of Hong Kong. This was before the I-bankers and Volarites found it, before you couldn't even get in the door because it was so packed, before Stella had to institute the membership policy and start kicking out anyone who made less than 100k a month.

And that's what's been happening to each and every bar we've been going to for the last few years. We'd show up, think "hey, this place is a great escape!", then the Volarites would show up with their power suits and tinsel gowns, and it all goes to hell.

All this talk of racism, of exclusivity and being shut down at the door, stems from that. The beautiful people are taking over Hong Kong, and we're left out on the corner of the 7-11.

Krad - Awww ....

Right

I tend to agree with the idea that more than racism its economics thats driving the bar to happily welcome whites and discourage asians....and that's true if you can't afford to bring them in good revenues then you are not welcome...it's like buying a luis vuitton or rolce royce or johnny walker blue label...etc etc....so there....
    I'd raised the same issue couple of weeks back, based on the racism incidents I'd faced....but now I have come to the terms with it that -
    1. you need to have a sunny disposition
    2. if a place is racist then probably I shouldn't be going there and giving them business in any way
    3. keep first two rules in mind....

laterzzz

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

I can't say this enough ....Best solution to all? Come to The Place in KT!

No posers, no arrogant pricks, no I-wankers, no prissy 'Volarites',....

just an easy going vibe with great friends....

Locals should just learn how to raise a scene... cause some ruckus... let those racist assholes know this is unacceptable. If they did this in any other country, there would be trouble every night for sure.

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 06-11-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: grammatical errors...
    asianexpatinhk likes this.

Ummm but they do do this on any regular night...

Bars and clubs, especially in the west, always have their own selective criteria, based on what the owner sets as law.

If you don't like it, pony up the 2 million to open your own ( tiny ) establisment, and run it how you see fit...

Chances are you'll run it in a similar way as most do in the LKF/SOHO/Wan Chai area, or face being wound up...

Simple rules in HK, no such thing as a free lunch, and those who pay more, are given much higher priority to those who don't...

It s actually a very honest system...

There's always Kowloon side ? Plenty of cheap and cheerful bars where the real locals hang out...

Last edited by Skyhook; 06-11-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Anyone seen the recent movie "Knocked Up"? There is a scene where a bouncer refuses to let in a woman because she is too old. He also says that he has a quota on how many black people he is allowed to let in (the bouncer is black himself and apparently not too happy about the quota).

It's a movie and perhaps just a screen writer's imagination instead a of a depiction of a real-life practice.

Let's assume for a second it is a real practice, my interpretation is that the reason they're doing it is because they want to maintain a reputation of a having a certain clientele; whether it is young beautiful women, wealthy white men or whatever. Ultimately, the person being rejected thinks it's racist, the night club owner might think it's good for business because if the club has reputation for being selective on who is allowed in, it attracts people, who like to be surrounded by these Volarites as Krad calls it. Morally right or wrong, it may just be a Commercial decision after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad:
    Because the drinks are good
    The Boa used to be a great place to sip some martinis,
    Not sure how a Martini in The Boa is different from a Martini in any other bar though...

;-)