Like Tree1Likes

feather boa -- absolutely racist

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

feather boa -- absolutely racist

absolutely racist; never encountered such a blatant racist act before; went to feather boa with nonasian expats; all got served drinks w/o any comments re: membership; came to me (asian expat), they refused to serve drinks unless i had membership; absolutely astonishing and ridiculous.

I've heard this claimed many times, but I've been there with OBCs, gwailos, Thais, Filipinos and locals and never had any difficulty getting served (except sometimes the difficulty of getting through the door because it is so popular).

Last edited by PDLM; 04-11-2007 at 01:39 AM.

perhaps it only enforces its whites only policy occasionally; or perhaps it depends on gender. that others have made similar remarks is disconcerting. even if its whites only policy is enforced occasionally, it is still absolutely unacceptable.

very strange!! been there a few times and have always been asked to pay by credit card for the first round of drinks (something to do with it being members only). I thought that was just the policy.

BTW I'm of indian descent.

I thought the boss lady was Chinese?

(Not that it would make it any less racist if she were, but...)

a simple google search nets these postings on 2 other threads and 1 prior geoexpat thread on this same topic, covering a span of over 2 years

see:

from http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/h...-hong-kong.htm

This is a decent bar but there is a big problem - it has a racist door policy. We have both heard about and seen first hand groups of locals (i.e ethnic Chinese) being denied entry when ex-pats (such as ourselves) are allowed in. To be avoided if you have a conscience.

Overall rating: 1/10 Design rating: 8/10
    Drinks rating: 6/10
    Service rating: 6/10
    by: sja22, 24 January 2007

It's difficult to rate this joint given that I have yet been allowed inside. I'm going to put on a blonde wig and blue contact lenses, see if that helps.

Overall rating: 2/10 Design rating: 2/10
    Drinks rating: 2/10
    Service rating: 1/10
    by: Larry Fong, 20 April 2007

from http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/...eads/63861.asp

Posted by CM (871 days ago)

When my girl friend and I went to Feather Boa a few months ago (March/April) we were told that it was members only and that they would let us stay that one time.... I had gone there the night before with my BF(who happens to be Caucasian) and wasn't told anything and we had a great time. My friend and I are Japanese.... but the other people there (95% Caucasians) weren't members either. Stella took our business cards and said that she'd send us an application form in the mail.... have not recieved anything in the mail till date. She said the same thing to a Chinese guy who came in later as well. Strange. Is it members only or isn't it?
    Posted by Dennyboy (868 days ago)

Its not members only - just depends whether Stella's 'got the decorators in or not'.

Bars open to make a profit by selling drinks, pref premium label - when they see 2 asian girls together they sometimes worry that they will make 1 drink last 3 hours as space is a premium in HK (especially in bars as big as my bedroom)

Racist but true unfortunately. There are not too many members-only places around - many of them who claim to be just say so to have the right to refuse you entrance with a face-saving excuse.

from http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/people...-t18141p4.html

15-03-2007, 03:47 PM
    Monde
    Registered User Join Date: Dec 2006

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beachball
    Solidly in expat (and expat groupie) hands - largely encouraged by the racist owner who likes to keep Asians out.

Sounds like a story here.

Ahh No, English~

I often find that I (a gwailo) have certain benefits. BUT I have an idea you may or may not have thought about.

I find for me in Northern New Territories, I am seen and the thought is, "Oh no, English". It is easier to have a 'whatever' attitude, just make the English speaker happy as long as I don't need to speak ENGLISH. Where when dealing with local people - "HA", you can tell them the policy.

I have a thread called, "reverse culture shock" which I am asking some questions which may provoke deeper thought then strait out pointing the finger of racism at people. There may be racism, but with all these topics regarding racism I have put that topic there as what I feel to be a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by dean-dzai:
    I find for me in Northern New Territories, I am seen and the thought is, "Oh no, English". It is easier to have a 'whatever' attitude, just make the English speaker happy as long as I don't need to speak ENGLISH. Where when dealing with local people - "HA", you can tell them the policy.
    Not the case here. Stella was raised in the UK. She speaks perfect English.

The posts by iamdimsum do bring up a point that many Asians do not drink the same way as Europeans do (in quantity and premium) so Stella is making a call on racism over income.
    When I first arrived in Hong kong I worked in a bar and when the world cup was on we discouraged groups of locals coming in as 15 would sit there for the whole match taking up seats and only ordering 5 pints of carlsberg between them.
    That's reality- whether you like it or not.

Move on, they do not like you, you just don't go and go somewhere else....seriously who cares whether people can enter that bar or another because of skin, language or else.

There are plenty of bars in HK..if this one do not want you then it is probably a place you will not like either, so just go elsewhere and that's it...

Sorry for being a bit "rude" but over the past few years heard so many of those complains that it gets frustrating at the end...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast