Is there Irish music in HK?

Closed Thread

Is there Irish music in HK?

Hi. I searched and found old posts with the same question but no affirmative answers. I am wondering if anyone knows of musicians getting together anywhere in Hong Kong and playing Irish traditional sort of music, or failing that, anything folk music-ish.

Thanks.

I guess if it exists it's rather uncommon then.

If there's enough people interested, I'm sure we could find a club to host an Irish/Newfie night. I'm a Newfoundlander myself, and I'm definitely missin the tunes. I've got tons of it on the computer, but would be great to hear it in a pub/bar!

I know some parts of Home for a Rest, that's the most I can contribute.

Well not really, I used to live on PEI (a stone's throw away from NL) so I've sang along to my fair share maritime/atlantic canada tunes have to be really drunk though

(yes I realise they aren't from newfoundland but everyone sings it. great big sea then?)

Last edited by pkboy; 28-09-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: had to clarify

You occasionally used to find a couple of old fellas in cardigans wailing away in the corner of the various Irish bars around town - Delaney's, Dublin Jack's (are they still around even?) etc. I'm not sure if that helps.

The Hong Kong Folk Society will meet at The Cannyman in Wanchai (basement of the Guangdong Wharney Hotel on Lockhart Road) at 2pm on Sunday. "Bring your own instrument" is what their mailing list invite says.

Thanks for that lead Mister Gruntfuttock (I hope I am pronouncing that right ). That is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using GeoClicks Mobile

I've only seen Irish bands playing on St Patrick's day. The band in Delaney's in Wan Chai were awesome, but I don't think they're local, I think they fly in from Cork or Dublin every year (though not 100% on that, worth checking at the bar). Another pub I saw live Irish folk was in Murphy's on Nathan Road in TST, again on St Patrick's so not sure if it's a regular thing,..they were defo local though, as the fiddler lives on Lamma and busks at the bottom of the mid levels escalator most days,..could ask him.

And,..Dublin Jack's has indeed closed down,..RIP my beautiful, beautiful mecca of booze, your are sorely missed and I wish I knew you and your bountiful delicious beverages sooner...