Which are your favorite pubs?
    Why?
    Good beer?
    Good atmos?
    Good prices?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My list:

Schnubarrts:

We've been going to this pub for about 7 years and find a certain comfort factor with this place. Nothing posh, nothing fancy, good german beers and generally a fairly good low key crowd. Its been the same formula which has not changed and is appreciated by many of the people who've been drinking here for as long as us.

The Erdingers are pretty good and is usually followed by some schapps -- they have an extensive collection, all served at the right temperature.

Thumbs up

Hi all!

Hmm....quite a few pretty decent pubs / bars in HK! it would take a pretty long message to list all the ones that I like, but I shall start with the one that I first visited when I was completely new to HK ..."La Dolce Vita" of the 97 group! Although it does tend to get awfully cramped up on the weekends...(but then doesnt every place), it does manage to attract a very nice and good-looking gentry!! All in all a good place to start your saturday evening!!! Drinks are pretty good though no fancy beers, but a nice array of other stuff

Schnubarrts is pretty good too for the reasons Shri mentioned! Not noisy, not posh but it definitely has really nice beer and a nice relaxing atmosphere!! Worth a visit if you havent been there...and I guess you'll visit the place more than once!

Agave in LKF is a decent latino bar! I especially liked their Margaritas and a few other latino concotions that I dont remember the names of right now!! Happy hours are decently priced! Oh yeah I forgot to mention I also like the place coz I got a couple of free margaritas there

More about a few of the other bars that I like in my next few posts!

Till then...cheers and see you all soon (heading back pretty soon)!!!!

Hiten

Hiten / Everyone else,

I want pubs... places people go to drink. No pretty people places, no posh people places. Good old fashioned bars....

Shri

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

The Amoeba Bar opposite Fat Angelo's on Ashley Road in TST. Loud music prompt service and a clear glass front for people watching

My pub favourites keep changing. On the hot-list currently for me is 'Inside Out' , behind Sunning Plaza, opposite Lee Gardens in Hysan avenue. Great beers, packed with people from the neighbourhood offices, and one of the few open-air beer gardens in HK. Lots of buzz and atmosphere. Good service.

You can sit inside either of the the two sections - one has Hoegaarden, Stella and San Mig on tap, and lots of bottled beers and the usual Heinekens. Lots of people there sip Sam Adams or Budvar. The other section has a few Belgian beers and lots and lots of american microbrews. And quite a few pale ales including two house brews which are very good.

But the real action is in the open-air area in the middle where you can sit 'under the palms' and order from anywhere. Plus basic pub grub and some great Ben & Jerrys icecream.

And they encourage you to throw peanut shells on the floor.

Couple of others that I'm fond of.

Delhaneys -- Wanchai. Good beer, reasonable prices and cold beer. Reasonably friendly bar staff.

Dickens -- Causeway Bay, Excelsior Hotel basement. Again, cold beer, reasonable prices for a hotel bar, lots of screens with live action sports (sometimes makes itself out to be a sports bar). Been going there for the last 10 years and the level of service is as good as it should be in a five star hotel -- sterile if you don't know the bartenders.

Whiskey Priest in Lan Kwai Fong -- Had an ice cold harp there -- must say it was exceptional. Prices where over the top ($65 for a pint but it was happy hour so we got two for one).

so where to today. ? thirsty

Came home already. Had a rough week. Next week maybe?

Railway Tavern in Tai Wai (yes, in "China" Shri)

One of the few real English pubs in HK and what I would call a Real Pub. Run by a great guy called Peter it is, as it’s name suggests it has a railway theme as Peter is an avid collector of old railway memorabilia. If you are into trains then you will love the place.

Early in the evening during Happy Hour it is distinctly an Expat hangout and a good place for a quite pint and a chat. But later at night the crowd is more local together with some of the younger expats and can become much more crowded and noisy but still great fun.

Tai Wai has loads of pubs all about 2 mins walk from each other. A good place for pub crawl away from Central.

Did anyone mention Dublin Jack with its English premier league football runs and occasional rugby, really fascinating antique pub memorabilia if you look high enough and classic irish working class hero pictures and a sense of old wood and thick bread and hearty ale- aside from a real Guinness and Kilkenny's you have the most amazing whiskey menu to choose from and some of the best beer stews and bangers n mash to binge on...its on the way up the escalator in the midlevels and a few minutes walk from LKF

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast