Lan Kwai Fong: Heaven or Hell?

Closed Thread

Lan Kwai Fong: Heaven or Hell?

What do you think about Lan Kwai Fong? Do you love it for it's lively, fun atmosphere, great food and mix of like-minded people? Or do you avoid it and prefer Wan Chai/Lamma/Soho/Sai Kung/somewhere else?

I'm an art student at the Hong Kong Art School and have an assignment to "create a portrait of Lan Kwai Fong" - so I'd love to hear your views.

I may use your actual words in my art work, or I may simply use them as part of my research/inspiration. At any rate, please tell me why you love or hate the place (or are simply indifferent to it) - personal experiences/memories are useful, as are more general thoughts about how LKF functions within Hong Kong as a whole.

One point: if LKF isn't your favourite place, please keep to the forum rules in your reply (e.g. no slagging off individual bars etc by name).

Thanks!

Gizmo

i find i can only handle lkf only once a month... it's the same scene, same people, same bars/clubs... truly not representative of the diverse city we live in. lkf can be described as a 'safe haven' for out of towners / non-locals / expats where they can feel somewhat 'at home...' - lkf is a touristy hub for out of towners...

Hang around LKF, and make friends with Alan Zeman. He will show you the insider view, and introduce you to some colorful people. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo:
    One point: if LKF isn't your favourite place, please keep to the forum rules in your reply (e.g. no slagging off individual bars etc by name).
    Er, I think you're confusing Geoexpat with another expat site which has this rule (and which is therefore useless as a place to go for recommendations).

Here on Geo it is perfectly OK to make coherent but negative reports of personal experience in specific establishments. The site owner's philosophy seems to be that in these cases he contacts the establishment and offers them the opportunity to respond online.

There's no problem at all with me saying that I find Bar George to be an appalling place - too loud and, late at night, too full of people who have had too much to drink (and others trying to use that to their advantage). Many others obviously like it - you can't build one place that suits all. Personally I prefer Bulldogs (not least because it is non-smoking, but also because it's a good friendly pub), and I'm looking forward to July 2009 when all the others have to be non-smoking as well so that I can enjoy other places that I find otherwise excellent (such as the Dublin Jack). The seats outside the HK Brew House are great if you fancy just doing a bit of people-watching.

I do tend avoid LKF on "big" nights (New Year, etc) because to me it is then generally just too much hard work and full of people determined to get drunk.

One amusing recent development in LKF is the arrival of the Chinese coach parties. I do find it rather bizarre to have quite so many people parading through taking pictures of random people (normally gweilos) just having a drink.

Yup you can only have so much of LKF before it gets to you, Once a week is my absolute limit now and like PDLM my preference if Bulldogs as you can actually have a decent conversation there without having your eardrums blasted by in the inhouse band like a certain Bar just round the corner.

>> lkf is a touristy hub for out of towners...

Strongly disagree.

I tend to meet friends in LKF once or sometimes twice a week. Its probably the most central area where we can meet.

We're not in LKF to look pretty or to look posh, we're there for the beers and the conversations - and its been this way for us, for well over 15 years now.

Infact one of the bars that I go to in LKF still has pretty much the same folks who've been going there for 10+ years.

I don't get people who go "I cant deal with LKF more than xx times .. the people annoy me ... etc etc". I guess this would be true if you were going there without friends / not in a group.

I don't mind Wanchai too, but I tend to think it attracts a slightly more weird brit lot than LKF. Cant deal with the older brits who hang around Wanchai .. there is only so much "you don't have an Indian accent / you Indians should thank us for the railways" nonsense that I can deal with.

I must say that I was left pretty impressed by Inn Side Out / East End Brewery in Causeway Bay. Good service, good prices, cold beers.

LKF has become an unfriendly place for students as many clubs haveswitched to a 21 or over rule. besides that it is a great place to be on a good day. however a 'great' night canbe chaotic as people overcrowd the streets.

have to say LKF can be Hell on some nights and Heaven on others, in fact it's been both on the same night. I've had vodka jellies and danced on the tables in Al's dinner and just a few weeks later laughed at people doing the same. The odd thing was that when my folks were here and on their last night I asked them where they wanted to go they said Bar George...not sure why but they just really liked it (early on in the night that is)

As an American, I enjoy the area and it reminds me of places back home. So, yes, to a certain extent it is a place to go if you are an expat and want some of that.

It's Heaven and Hell. That is what makes it fun....