Like Tree33Likes

Movies/Cinema in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Do you need to rent out the entire Standard Starsuite as a group function? or can you buy individual tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    It's the biggest IMAX screen in HK. What are you comparing it to?

Websites of some cinemas:
    www.amccinemas.com.hk
    www.uacinemas.com.hk
    www.mclcinema.com
    www.cinema.com.hk
    screens outside of HK...as the OP is (I assume) American, I'm comparing to what they may be familiar with...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Last edited by anothercanuck; 10-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Do you need to rent out the entire Standard Starsuite as a group function? or can you buy individual tickets?
    Individual tickets are fine.

In terms of content Broadway Cinemateque in Yau Ma Tei and the HK Film Archive in Sai Wan Ho show a range of more interesting films plus there are the festivals/seasons organised by the likes of IFVA, InDPanda, HKFF etc.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm a cheapskate, therefore I know at the low end, you can also get $40 tickets for morning showings of many movies.

On the other end of the scale, I was not aware of Standard Starsuite at The Grand in Elements (first time I've heard of it)...Looked them up and to my amazement, saw that it was $220...Yikes.
    Is it that much better than Directors Club (been many times) with most of its movies at around $175 ?

Whats the difference between the 2? Is it worth the expense and the trip to the dark side?
    that's why i said "about"....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    UA has a (practically useless) loyalty club.
    For what it's worth, I'd disagree with this quite strongly. For $100 you get a guaranteed 2 free tickets through the year (one as a sign-up bonus, one in your birthday month), plus a bundle of vouchers which should save you at least a few $ off popcorn/drinks at some point. You then get a small discount off every booking - which pretty much covers the inane online booking fee - and everything you buy at the snack kiosk. You also get bonus points which lead to more free tickets...

Unless you only go to the cinema a couple of times a year - in which case why would you be considering a cinema chain's loyalty card? - it's quite hard not to save money with it. You're not going to get rich from the savings, but they are real.
    TheBrit and wayland like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    For what it's worth, I'd disagree with this quite strongly. For $100 you get a guaranteed 2 free tickets through the year (one as a sign-up bonus, one in your birthday month), plus a bundle of vouchers which should save you at least a few $ off popcorn/drinks at some point. You then get a small discount off every booking - which pretty much covers the inane online booking fee - and everything you buy at the snack kiosk. You also get bonus points which lead to more free tickets...

Unless you only go to the cinema a couple of times a year - in which case why would you be considering a cinema chain's loyalty card? - it's quite hard not to save money with it. You're not going to get rich from the savings, but they are real.
    Have you tried actually USING the free ticket? I had one in my purse for a YEAR and never got to use it, mainly because when we got to the cinema (and it was a fair number of times) we like to see new releases and the ticket was NEVER valid for those. I gave up after a year. Perhaps I broke even, that was about it.

There is a really cute Agnes B. cinema in Wan Chai, mostly airing art movies. Seats are a little bit cramped, if you have long legs you might end up with leg cramps.

If you want to avoid the crowd, there is a Broadway in Cyberport selling beer, hot dogs and salsa nachos.

dipper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 852Adventures:
    There is a really cute Agnes B. cinema in Wan Chai.....
    Do you mean the cinema at Hong Kong Arts Centre which is sponsored by the aforementioned purveyors of black jumpers and expensive chocolates?
    shri likes this.

Problem with cinemateque and the grand playing independent films and art films is that they only play those movies for a 2-3 week run and only have 2 screenings each week. So they are usually fully booked way in advance. I have missed a number of movies I was waiting for because they had booked out more than a week in advance. Clearly there is more demand then supply so I wish they could free up more theatre time for them. I can't really blame those cinemas though. Locals are only interested in the latest HK romcom shitfest that has x celeb kissing y celeb, so they assign the theatres to them.