Hot Pot

Closed Thread

Hot Pot

Does anybody know a good place to get a hot pot? I have heard about them and would like to try it. How exactly does it work? Do you just point to the ingredients you want in the hot pot?

Thanks

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Ideally make your own
    http://www.digsmagazine.com/nourish/nourish_hotpot.htm

you could even start with plain water in a pot over a tabletop burner and end up with a fantastic meal by adding bits and pieces every now and then; and you don't really need a crowd just excellent company.

If you must venture forth then.....

Fat Mama Hot-Pot (Hot-pot). Shop 7 G/F, Siu Yat Bldg DD215 Lot 94 Sai Kung,

if you are feeling rustic head over to any cooked food stall, which are normally below all public libraries or my favorite is on the western shore of Ap Lei Chau [South Horizons]

Is there anything on Hong Kong Island? I see the little hot pot places everywhere, are they all pretty similar? Will the language barrier be a problem?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Closet to Central would be the Shueng Wan Civic Centre the cooked food area is just above the wet market. Point at what others are eating or learn to say "Ta Pin Low"

The centre is on Des Voeux Rd just uphill from Western Market.

Thumbs down Temple Street Hot Pot

The categorically-best Hot Pot in Hong Kong (and anywhere else) is on Temple Street, near Yau Ma Tei MTR station.

I've been in HK almost 5 months now, and I've been brought there by locals about 3 times. There's a corner there where you can choose from 3 different hot pot places.

You can also buy your drink at a nearby stall - beer, soft drink, anything. And also you can buy the biggest and best plate of fried oyster this side of the Pacific for $20 and bring it to your seat to eat with your hot pots.

But be warned. If you're about fancy dining atmosphere - forget it. This place is about good eats for a good price. And find someone familiar with hotpots to order. If you speak only English you won't get far.

Do you know any locals? A lot of restaurants (on HK island too) does hotpot in slightly more hygienic surroundings but their menus as far as I know are all in Chinese. You tick what you what from a list, hand it over and hey presto your uncooked ingredients arrive.

It's best to go with someone who can read Chinese and not risk just ticking randomly; there's a chance you might pick something you don't find appetising - pigs brains anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqman:
    Do you know any locals?
    Yep.
    Notice: they're all over the place here.

A lot of restaurants (on HK island too) does hotpot...
    Great! .....where?

there's a chance you might pick something you don't find appetising - pigs brains anyone?
    At Chinese hotpot? That's an embellished stereotype me thinks. But thanks for reinforcing the stereotype with fear-mongering. Dare I mention what's in those pork sausages you get in the western world? Your beloved pig brains.