Which Hotel?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hotels, huh? Most hotel dining can be mediocre-OK, but mostly, unremarkable. Tried quite a few all over HK over the yrs so am a little reluctant to go all out to recommend one particular one; especially as I'm more into Japanese, general Asian food rather than red meat. And if looking for a decent-sized, juicy, quality steak plus entree and little extras, HK$500 a head WITH wine might not quite cover it.

You mentioned Kowloon side, AND something 'bout 'romance' (?)...

Well, I've been pretty impressed by 'Aqua' inside the tall One Peking Road Building on the 29th (TST).

Memorable snazzy, dimly-lit, ultra-kool interior. While the food's a little TOO 'haute cuisine' for me (min. spend is $380 a head, without drks)... and yeah, served on wide-brimmed, flying-saucer dishes, for a 'special treat' - eye-candy tasty. Vibe: classy, elegant, and on most non-holiday evenings, discreet enough.

And, for a midnight encore, pop up one floor (30th) to 'Aqua Spirit' - a high-ceilinged bar with Big City sophistication, known for stunning views, spanning a good portion of the harbour.

The lighting is rather cleverly thought out, with couples in mind - 2-3 cosy, intimate corners / spaces. And after some (rather pricey!) mouthfuls of wine, leisurely, exploratory chat, warm & fuzzy feelings will certainly stir

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I would suggest Wooloomooloo in LKF as just about doable, but I heard a rumour the other day that it has closed down. Anyone know for sure?
    Just to try to scotch this rumour - Wooloomooloo was just having a slight facelift - it's now rebranded as a full-on steak house (the non-smoking bar having been less than a success until the playing field is levelled next year).

I haven't checked the menu, but if it hasn't changed, you should be able to get out of there for $1200 for 2 courses for 2 people plus, say. 4 glasses of wine.

the bostonian in the langham hotel in tst is under budget too.

So 'Woolloomooloo' (LKF) hasn't shut down, just renovating, and now reborn a 'steakhouse'? Well then, I'll second that recommendation there, for good (amount of) tasty food & wine, plus definitely better value for money than my previous mentions (if that's your primary concern).

However, though this Aussie place is also contemporary, stylishly decked out and cosy, from memory, my impression was the tables & plush seating were a midge TOO close together, so not entirely conducive to 'romance' or for those who want something more upclose & personal (if, indeed, that was also on your mind). But as they've recently renovated, sneak a peek, and maybe give them a try.

Anyways, guessing your guy, if a 'typical guy', would probably pay LESS attention to the ambiance and surroundings, and much MORE on the quality and size of what's actually on his plate... & in his glass... AND, most importantly, of course, to ya delectable company in front Whatever you choose, have fun.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

in the mood to splurge?

Without meaning to I came across this delightful review of Moreton. Might pop in tonight;if only for the martini.

Asia Sentinel - The Big Beef

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Without meaning to I came across this delightful review of Moreton. Might pop in tonight;if only for the martini.

Asia Sentinel - The Big Beef
    Hiya KK

That piece makes for entertaining reading.

And IF 'BIG Beef' were my thing, and the portions weren't SO ridiculous, I'd consider joining you there for a bite. Also, a touch odd... I didn't think beef was ya cuppa either, as you hardly finished your huge chunky 'Shake 'Em Buns' burger the other time we'd a drk!

From what I could tell... 'Excess' ain't you, either

Why not try Mezz at Prince's Building...great food & service and nice surroundings. It'll be no more expensive than your 5 star hotels.

I went to California at the Marriott once and I was very impressed. It was about $800 per head with wine.

Hope that helps!

thanks everyone! i think i'll stick with california at the Marriott ; ) read a lot of reviews about it.. seemed pretty good.

and about the other restaurants you guys suggested, i will most certainly go and check it out wiht my friends ; )

thanks a lot!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    . I didn't think beef was ya cuppa either, as you hardly finished your huge chunky 'Shake 'Em Buns' burger the other time we'd a drk!
    Well the portions I am used to aren't so 'american' and I could hardly walk around the rest of the evening with a doggie bag
    Must do S'em B again real soon for some real beef

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2