DJ wannabe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DJ wannabe

Merry X'mas, boys & girls, gweillos & HKees!
    I'm a DJ wannabe and wonder if anybody knows where to learn the basic of spinning & mixing music.
    Pls pls drop me a line if you know anyone teaching privately or any group class available.

hi

Contact Cat here: http://www.hkdjs.com/

They run the Hong Kong DJ school.

Info:

»Professional DJ Training Course
    Programe Overview
    This programme concentrates on both fundamental and advanced DJ techniques as well as equipment interface, music theory.

Topics
    Turntable operation, mixer operation, gain structure, basic sound principals, sound and levels, beat matching, drop mixing, tricks, scratching, CD mixing, EQs, effects, sampling, finding songs to match, club PA systems, DJ rules and etiquette, ear training, equipment configuration, speaker/Amp matching.

Course structure
    * One on one tuition
    * 5 lecture sections [2 hours each]
    * 20 hours individual practice time in our fully equipped DJ Studio [a Hong Kong DJ Training Center technical advisor will be on hand at all times to help you through any difficulties you may experience]

FEE
    HKD3000 (total 30 hours)

::Short Term DJ Training Course
    * One on one tuition
    * open syllabus
    * HKD250 per hour

Last edited by MrEntertainment; 05-01-2005 at 02:02 PM.

my advise is not to go to the HK DJ School.
    Thast place churns out the most cockiest and rudest of DJs. who don't know much about what they are doing in the first place.
    My advice for you, dear friend (I was a DJ wannabe myself, until I learned the real deal), is to go out to a club that has DJs and ask the DJ to teach you, providing that you think he/she is capable. Most of these people, once you get to know them, will be more then glad to pass over their tips to newbies. For example, Derald Reynolds (AKA DJ Gruv) will be more than willing to teach you. He will charge /hour.
    Also, another benefit is that these are the DJs who know about how the club scene really works and are also the ones who might be able to get you a job in the industry in the future.

>> most cockiest and rudest of DJs

I thought that was part of the package.

:p

hahah..
    well I will sort of agree with you on that.
    however I have noticed there is a sort of "System" as to how DJs work in HK, especially with the local DJs working in the Central area. The newbies often know who the long-standing DJs are (ie: DJ Joel Lai, David Lam, Roy Malig, Thomas C, to name a few, all with over 10 years of experience in the HK clubbing scene), and they usually show respect to these "Si Fu's" and learn from them. In return their "Si Fu" will teach them the trade tricks of surviving in HK as a DJ and help them get jobs.
    HOWEVER..
    There are a few DJs that were churned from that DJ School that showed up at a few gigs that also involved alot more experienced DJs. Here is an experience from one of those DJs:
    He was on the stage with a group of other "known" DJs when this guy suddenly started going through his bag. Curious as to what was going on, my friend asked the guy what he was doing, to which this guy replied "What does it look like I am doing? I am looking for something in MY bag!"
    My friend was shocked and said "thats fine if you were looking in your own bag but sir, you are going through MY bag"
    This guy simply pointed his thumb at his nose and yelled "I am a DJ!!! DJ *blah blah*"
    (as if that justified him going through the wrong bag, which he still hadn't admitted to doing yet. plus, no one on that stage had ever heard of this DJs name.)
    So my friend asks this guy, "what do you have in your bag?"
    "DUH! Records of course!"
    "do you see a single record in that bag?"
    "uh... no.."
    "thats because I am playing CDs tonight and didn't bring any out. that bag only has a pack of CDs in it."
    the guy just walked off without saying anything, and a while later my friend see's him walking off with another bag.
    No idea if that bag was his or not though!

this is not the general attitude of DJs in HK.

Well I am moving back to HK after a 20 + year absence and I cannot wait. I am an established DJ here in Vancouver but want to pick it back up in HK so was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have some mixes online (a bit older) at http://67.18.22.228/~radiojt/audio/ and my url is http://www.radiotech.co.uk My host are a bit wanky so the links to my sets do not work from my site.

Anyway I love Dj'ing and have played with Dylan Rhymes, Force Mass Motion, Lawn Chair Generals, John Howard, Tyson Guess, Paranoid Jack and Kiyoshi to drop a few names. The point is I love the culture and especially the music so want to carry on. Your help is greatly appreciated and I cannot wait to get back.....

Sincerely,

Jason

Last edited by JasonT; 27-01-2006 at 06:41 PM.

dj wannabe

hi ekki i would like to ask u something personally, actually im a normal dj, took some basic class in singapore personally, im very much interested in Djing. I have nearly 2 years experience in DJing including i played 8 months in guangzhou china. no one is perfect and no thing is impossible, i can mix all kind of music house, r&b hiphop etc., but still i wants to take professional class in hong kong before i start working here in hong kong. So what do you suggest me should i go to hk dj school or wat. pls it would be greatfull to you if give me some ideas.
    thanks

I can help ya but u will have to wait as i will be out of town from 19th till 5th of Jan 08. I do ONLY vinyls though and i will stick with it till they stop making my styla tunes on 12"s.
    hjdjs and that girl Cat is useless, u better off with color production guys ( dj galaxy )
    http://colorproduction.com.hk/
    look them up and give them a call, see what they say.
    Good luck and Merry Xmas!!

Jason T^ WHOAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Mike the Mr FMM guy YUMMMMM!
    sorry couldn't help it ;p;

thanks for your advised. why not meet before u leave
    marry x-mass
    c ya

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast