Like Tree1Likes

What is a teenager to do in HK in the summer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is a teenager to do in HK in the summer?

Hello there. I am a new member here. I just arrived in HK on the 22nd to stay with my aunt for the entire summer, until mid-August I think. I have visited HK before numerous times and I really like it here. I am 16 yrs old and currently go to an international boarding school in Beijing. Me and my aunt are staying in the MongKok area. What activities are there for me to do here over the summer? I plan to do community service at church (St Andrews in Tsim Sha Tsui), and I really wanna go to the gym to build muscle since I am really skinny, but I heard that most gyms here don't allow foreigners (I am Indonesian) and only allow people who are 18yrs and above. So, what other things do you recommend me doing over the course of 2 months?

Last edited by w1ll14m44; 26-06-2013 at 03:27 PM.

www.meetup.com -- you'll find all kinds of activities in there.

Quote Originally Posted by w1ll14m44:
    Hello there. I am a new member here. I just arrived in HK on the 22nd to stay with my aunt for the entire summer, until mid-August I think. I have visited HK before numerous times and I really like it here. I am 16 yrs old and currently go to an international boarding school in Beijing. Me and my aunt are staying in the MongKok area. What activities are there for me to do here over the summer? I plan to do community service at church (St Andrews in Tsim Sha Tsui), and I really wanna go to the gym to build muscle since I am really skinny, but I heard that most gyms here don't allow foreigners (I am Indonesian) and only allow people who are 18yrs and above. So, what other things do you recommend me doing over the course of 2 months?
    Browse through this site to give you some idea:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/index.jsp

- Work out
    - Learn Brazilian jiu jitsu
    - Go hiking
    - Go kayaking in sai kung
    - Go sightseeing to the outer islands in hong kong
    - teach local kids english for cash
    - Go biking

Quote Originally Posted by w1ll14m44:
    but I heard that most gyms here don't allow foreigners (I am Indonesian) and only allow people who are 18yrs and above.
    I see many people of different skin colors in my gym. As long as you pay the monthly fee, your race should not matter. But not sure about being 18+ though.

Quote Originally Posted by rlleung:
    I see many people of different skin colors in my gym. As long as you pay the monthly fee, your race should not matter. But not sure about being 18+ though.
    I presume the issue is having a HKID, which I'd assume the poster doesn't have and most fitness places ask for. I've definitely seen teenage tourists at the gym though and did manage to negotiate a short term gym pass myself while holidaying here without a HKID (though I was over 18) so it's worth trying, perhaps with your aunt's endorsement.

Otherwise, there are heaps of other exercise options around. You can go wakeboarding/windsurfing/paddling by hiring gear/boats on lots of beaches, go iceskating in many of the shopping centres (Try Elements at TST), or join some of the park fitness/TRX groups. In order to meet people, it would be worth joining meetup groups or classes.

Check out some of the outer islands. You can go swimming or hiking; it's good exercise and no gym necessary. You can also wander around, visit shops, get food, rent a bike, etc. Riding the ferries out is also part of the fun. Cheung Chau was one of my favorites to visit.

Do you like dancing? Or would you like to learn? There's a swing dance society that's free. They meet in Central on Wednesdays, and they even offer free lessons. It's a fun way to meet people, and there are often people there from all over. It tends to run a little older, but there have been teens there, usually the more outgoing ones.

As far as exercise, maybe you wouldn't be up for it, but I've noticed that some (a lot?) of the parks have exercise equipment like chin-up bars and things like that. The one near my place even had a poster with picture instructions on how to use the equipment. Chin-ups and push-ups and things like that are good for working your whole body. Alternatively, get some dumb-bells and work out at home.

Oh, I forgot to ask, does your church have a youth group? Maybe you could do activities with them. Or if it doesn't, maybe you could see if there are any other church youth groups that you could join for events. Also a good way to do fun stuff and meet people.

There are numerous activities to get involved in as many have already mentioned on this forum If you're up for a mini adventure, I would recommend either visiting the rock pools in Discovery Bay, maybe rent a bike in Mui Wo and explore the island (cheap bike rentals) or even a cool off activity like ice skating in Tai Koo Shing or Festival Walk. The views from the trail around the Peak are to die for and so are the waves in Big Wave Bay. (Which also have cheap surf board / body board rentals). Enjoy your time here and good luck!

Get a job and earn some cash?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast