48th Street Blues + June 6th Happy Hour

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Goodfood, so are we up for this Heisha gig at 48th St Chicago Blues coming Friday?

The venue is the one I mentioned last Friday night when you were wondering if HK had any rock hangout joint. Had never been there but had visited their website and seemed to be a labour of love of a rare kind for HK. The concept spelt out in their first 2 paragraphs did strike a chord, and I like their reasons not to go as much as those to go!!(http://www.48chicagoblues.com/What%2...0is%2048St.htm).

These Hei Sha dudes (and dudette) - well never heard them - but from their self-description their inspiration seems firmly to be rock, and the covers repertoire has some real good names right off my A list: Chrissy Hynde (ok, Pretenders), Skunk Anansie (great Skin they got), Sheryl Crow and Patti Smith, .... and TT (if early phase!)...not to mention an old classic they tout from ol' George Koojman's (sp??) Dutch band that takes me right back to my days in Stephen's Delhi.

What say you? Complication is that I have a dinner on tomorrow. Good thing is gig starts late. It's in TST, east of Nathan somewhere (Hart Ave). Any others interested too?

Thumbs up did we also mention

Cheap Trick, Shades Apart, Patti Rothberg, Hole, Garbage, Beth Hart, Josie and the Pussycats...

It would be fantastic if you could come along. And scream and shout a lot hehe.

You are right, 48th Street is a labour of love. Tommy is wonderful and is really careful about the sound, unlike some other places where they feed musicians to the wolves....

You won't be sorry, even if I say so myself. hehehe

Another rock hangout is the Wanch. Besides different bands playing there every friday and saturday (and, shameless plug, we're on next friday, the 13th) they have a jam night on Wednesdays, 10pm on... so a lot of us musicians trot down there and take turns to strut our stuff, bands mix up depending on who is available. The atmosphere is great, sort of underground musos hehehe and everyone has a good time.

Then there's the Fringe club - more upmarket, which does a mix of all kinds of music.

Cheers and thanks for the thought Goodfella, I hope y'all can make it

dudette from heisha

I cant deal with the Wanch.

Way too many ancient men there .... always has the feel of being a "old gay-gweilo bar".

That is one of the few places I *never* felt comfortable venturing in all by myself. And I've tried it about half a dozen times in my ten years in HK... telling myself each time to not let my vibes get in the way of a good night of music and drink.

Great music though...

I will be there. sounds interesting

sounds 'music' to my ears..... hehe
    Looking forward to it!

GF, Reems, confirm soon !!

Shri, u gotta get hold of ur visa this time
    or
    how abt being an illegal immigrant (oops..did i say dat) for a short while
    (ill take care of the watchdogs )

just saw that this thread had 342 views.

Now what do you call that??
    given the fact that HKFella started it today which is 5th of June 2003

I know I saw the number of views. Amazing. Is it possible?? If so maybe people like reading about music??

its all good

Ok.. don't get too flattered. But we do have tons of peeps who hit the site.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Either that, or a bug when Shri split the post off from the old happy hour thread, or there is an unanticipated blues tide sweeping geoexpat.com (which if taken at the flood could lead to fortune?).

HKFella

(BTW, dudette from heisha, who's "Goodfella"? - what you get when you cross goodfood with me?)

hahahaha Shri, no not flattered at all. Like HKFELLA I believe it was the blues wot did it, if the numbers are not a carry over.

HKFELLA - totally confused between you and Good Food am I! I do believe I was confused last week too. ROFLMAO. urrrk sorry. hehe

Cheers!

d

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast