Like Tree1061Likes

Which movie are you going to watch next?

Closed Thread
Page 174 of 178 FirstFirst ... 166 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast

Had a chance to catch-up on a bunch of movies during my CX flight to Europe. Lots of good ones and a few stinkers in the June/July lineup:
    - Kids on the Slope: the movie does a pretty faithful recreation of the anime it is based on. A lighthearted movie to empty your head and enjoy some jazz, fairly complex characters and a good coming of age story

- Anon: trite and full of plot holes similar to “In Time” (same director). Like sci-fi written by a middle schooler

- I Can Speak: fairly light hearted Korean comedy turns into a serious tear jerker. Great performance and a very important message.

- Sing Street: coming of age musical. Loved the OST. Worth a watch if anything to listen to Aiden Gillen with his original Irish accent rather than murder an American accent or whatever he was supposed to be in GoT

- Isle of Dogs: Classic Wes Anderson that becomes even more whimsical / quirky when combined with Japanese twists. Have a go if your liked Fantastic Mr Fox

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Read that whole article. Not once did it mention where the bloody thing was (which TOWN ffs).
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    New Town Plaza
    I made a thread recently related to that cinema:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/8/thread348722.html

Let us know how your experience is if you do go there to see a movie.

- -
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    Is "The Foreigner" not being released in HK? It's already released in China and USA... but no HK date? Was hoping it be my next movie (in the cinema)
    I had pretty low expectations going into this one, but the movie was actually quite good since it's based on a novel:

https://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=27011580

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    I made a thread recently related to that cinema:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/8/thread348722.html

Let us know how your experience is if you do go there to see a movie.
    Smells very new
    Great Sound
    OK seats
    Good picture
    Not busy at all
    Food awful
    GeoTommy likes this.

China's mega-movie turns mega-flop

This doesn’t deserve its own thread so I'll put it here:

China's mega-movie turns mega-flop - RTHK

The film cost the equivalent of US$113 million to make, and opened on Friday. But the ticketing platform Maoyan said it only took in just $7.3 million at the weekend.
    Yet the film garnered a rotten 3.1 out of 10 rating on Douban, the mainland's most influential user review platform. "My god, it's horrifying! It's just a magnificent pile of excrement!" one user wrote.
    East_coast likes this.

I was thinking about going to watch this with the wife. Dodged a bullet it seems.

Just been to see Skyscraper staring The Rock and HK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QePUT-Yt8

Some major flaws about a tall building in the 852

- The CCP have banned HK from building anymore iconic tall buildings
    - The HK government would NEVER allow real green features in building
    - The HK government would NEVER allow a building that doesn't need to pay LKS or Kadoorie for electricity
    - No one uses Baidu in Hong Kong

And more importantly

- a crowd in Hong Kong would never collectively gasp they would wooaah then waahhh

Apart from that a solid enough disaster movie with hollywood's need to have too much brawn and guns to solve life's problems. Oh and duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Just been to see Skyscraper staring The Rock and HK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QePUT-Yt8

Some major flaws about a tall building in the 852

- The CCP have banned HK from building anymore iconic tall buildings
    - The HK government would NEVER allow real green features in building
    - The HK government would NEVER allow a building that doesn't need to pay LKS or Kadoorie for electricity
    - No one uses Baidu in Hong Kong

And more importantly

- a crowd in Hong Kong would never collectively gasp they would wooaah then waahhh

Apart from that a solid enough disaster movie with hollywood's need to have too much brawn and guns to solve life's problems. Oh and duct tape.
    We saw it yesterday. Hilarious. The "stunts" are so ridiculous as to be funny. I enjoyed it - but probably not for the reasons one is supposed to see a disaster movie.

Other notable "errors" in the film:

* The HK police come across as mostly competent and have more than 3 cars
    * Nobody can climb several stories up a static rope by hand (but this is a common "movie misconception" so I guess we just live with it)
    * No way that turbine was big enough to power the whole building

I did really like the building though. Wish they could really build them like that!
    East_coast and Fiona in HKG like this.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any cinena in HK showing The Incredibles 2 with the original English? Most of the cinemas I tend to visit in the NT are only showing it with Cantonese dub.

Quote Originally Posted by numanchris:
    Don't suppose anyone knows of any cinena in HK showing The Incredibles 2 with the original English? Most of the cinemas I tend to visit in the NT are only showing it with Cantonese dub.
    A quick check on the UA cinema site shows all the cinema's showing (some) English versions.

Quote Originally Posted by numanchris:
    Cinematheque and Yoho Mall are showing it in English:

https://www.cinema.com.hk/en/movie/details/10604