Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Krad

Wanted: Good Theaters

Closed Thread

Wanted: Good Theaters

Where can we find good small scale innovative theatres or theater companies in HK? I know of the Drama Theater & recently discovered Kwai Tsing Theater... might anyone herein have another recommendation or two of how I get myself immersed?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Not So Loud
    Theatre du Pif

For Chinese language, the Hong Kong Rep.

There's performances at the Fringe Club. And the Cattle Depot Artist Village.

Not quite sure what you are looking for though...

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-10-2013 at 10:07 AM.

thx will look for those websites... need the performances to be in English

Are you wanting to watch or to perform?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you only want to watch, check out the LCSD website (covers all the government-run theatres - sign up for mailing list), the HKAPA, and the Arts Centre. Mostly performances will be in Chinese, obviously, but there will be visiting companies as well as the few local ones performing.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-10-2013 at 10:43 AM.

There's a lot happening in the performing scene. You just need to look. Claire makes great suggestions. There's also a nice blog called hkeld that lists all the shows that are coming up in the next month. You'll find something there you'll like. You can also look at the freebie papers like hkmag and timeout for suggestions.

I use Timable mobile app to check coming up events :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.timable.app

For English language productions, everything takes place within the Sheung Wan - Central - Wan Chai block.

Theatre du Pif is the most well known, and one of the more avant-garde groups. They do good stuff and perform all over town.

There are multiple groups available in town, usually performing in either the Fringe Club on Ice House St. or the Hong Kong Arts Centre in Wan Chai. Unfortunately, most English groups won't perform outside these venues because from past experience, audience members don't seem to be willing to go to Kowloon for a performance.

Upcoming in the next couple months:

Den of Thieves by Stephen Adly Guirgis (Aurora Productions) - on now until Saturday at the Hong Kong Arts Centre

Constance by Clare Stearns (Perilous Mouths Productions) - on from Feb 11 to Feb 15 at Fringe Club

P.S. Your Cat is Dead by James Kirkwood (Naiad Productions) - on from Feb 19 to Feb 23 at Hong Kong Arts Centre

Abigail's Party by Mike Leigh (Hong Kong Players) - on from Feb 26 to Mar 1 at Hong Kong Arts Centre

9 Circles by Bill Cain (ACT) - on from 7 May to 10 May at Hong Kong Arts Centre

Oh! What a Lovely War by Joan Littlewood - on in May (don't have exact dates yet).

That's not an exclusive list, thats just what I know is happening in English in the immediate future. So there's definitely stuff out there.

shri likes this.