Like Tree13Likes

Taxis after a nightout in LKF

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Taxis after a nightout in LKF

While I know it's traditionally a nightmare to find a cab to take you back to Kowloon side from the LKF area after the MTRs are closed, having gone out (probably for the first time in a long time) in the last couple weeks, is it just me or has it gotten even worse?

Not only do the "cross harbour" taxis (the ones with the off duty sign infront) pick and choose who they take, depending on where you want to go, but even the regular taxis refuse to go!

I don't live too far away (TST) but at the same time, I'd image it being a little more manageable than going to Sai Kung!

Anyone else notice this?

I can't speak to HK taxi's after midnight (although I did take one the other day but not from LKF lol). But I did have a HUGE difficulty getting a cab in Bangkok a few weeks ago. I was trying to get to the IMPACT convention centre - which is miles away from the centre with no public transport - and no taxi's wanted to go there. In the end I had to just sit in the back of a taxi saying "I'm not moving so you might as well take me there" as the only way to get there (after trying about 20 taxi's politely, including having the hotel concierge try the first 10 or so).

So - anyone tried that strategy in HK?

it all depends on what tunnel you offer to take, for example if you say the old cross harbour tunnel then they will usually refuse as traffic is never good in that tunnel, they do not want to be stuck in traffic when they could probably get a better fare. going to clear water bay is even worse, the last time I did it I offered the guy 200 to go and then he agreed. Usual fare is around 150.

They cannot legally refuse a fare. If they start being picky, just pull out your cell phone and say you'll call the cops with their license plate number. They'll huff and scowl and open the door.

After a night out, I'm pretty indifferent to a cabbie mumbling curses at me on the ride home, as long as I get there.

MovingIn07, kimwy66 and elle like this.

Off memory there is a cross harbour line out the front of The Center in Queens Rd.

Perhaps you could just offer the driver an additional sum to cover the pain in the ass factor?

Frankly, I'm fairly sympathetic to cab drivers picking up from LKF in the early hours. Dealing with drunken gweilos cannot be fun.

@oki- they can refuse a fare if you haven't gotten into the cab yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    no taxi's wanted to go there. In the end I had to just sit in the back of a taxi saying "I'm not moving so you might as well take me there" as the only way to get there (after trying about 20 taxi's politely, including having the hotel concierge try the first 10 or so).

So - anyone tried that strategy in HK?
    I have seen this done in Wanchai before, the driver turned of engine, clamly opened his bonnet/hood, fiddled with some wires told the passenger car broken, passenger called police, driver told police taxi broken, passenger still sitting in the back, after like 20 mins or so passenger finally left, police left, driver waited a while, plugged in wires and took off. It was funny to watch.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Dealing with drunken gweilos cannot be fun.
    Or their vomit!
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I have seen this done in Wanchai before, the driver turned of engine, clamly opened his bonnet/hood, fiddled with some wires told the passenger car broken, passenger called police, driver told police taxi broken, passenger still sitting in the back, after like 20 mins or so passenger finally left, police left, driver waited a while, plugged in wires and took off. It was funny to watch.
    LOL. Although jgl's comment above about not being allowed to refuse a fare means that this SHOULD be a legit strategy. I guess it just comes down to who blinks first…. (personally an N-bus sounds preferable at this stage!).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I was trying to get to the IMPACT convention centre - which is miles away from the centre with no public transport
    Really - plenty of public transport options listed on their website:

IMPACT Link Shuttle Bus Services

We offer our IMPACT LINK bus shuttle services between Bangkok city and IMPACT. Our fleet of minibuses, donning the distinctive logo of IMPACT serves the 30-minute route between Mo Chit Sky Station and IMPACT, departing each point at 30 minutes interval daily from 6.00 am to 10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Really - plenty of public transport options listed on their website:

IMPACT Link Shuttle Bus Services
    lol. used it. try it before recommending it…

(here's a hint - takes 1.5 hours or 2 hours if you just miss a bus, which do NOT go "on the hour" or anything sensible, vs 30 mins in a cab). Plus it's a minibus taking at most 20 people … when you are going to a conference of 2000 people, one 20 seater bus per 30 mins doesn't quite cut it). And to be clear, it's ONE service, not serviceS.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 05-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast