give me some dirty, grimey bars.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ideally, Tokyo.
    Posts
    236

    Intersting pint point. I wondered about that myself, but then realised that the line (on a Carlsberg glass) is a little bit from the top. And since (I think) a pint is 568ml, there's a pretty good chance that when filled past the line, you'd be getting a full pint.


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wanchai
    Posts
    5,138

    Ive only ever seen one pool table since ive been in HK and that was over in TST.

    Can you let me know where these bars are in Wanchai with pool tables please?


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205

    The best pool hall on HK Island (if you can stand the smoke) is www.joesbilliards.com . See the link for details.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmario:
    Intersting pint point. I wondered about that myself, but then realised that the line (on a Carlsberg glass) is a little bit from the top. And since (I think) a pint is 568ml, there's a pretty good chance that when filled past the line, you'd be getting a full pint.
    Except that where I come from the space above the line is for the head, which isn't included in the measure of a pint.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    188

    club 71?

    It's down a staircase off Hollywood Road. I never remember where it is until I pass the alleyway. Not exactly 'grimey' but it's pretty much a patio off an alley with a small bar inside.

    Seconded on Joe's Billiards.. It's a nice place to play every so often. Try to get a table with a air purifier nearby!


  6. #16

    Whoa, wasn't actually expecting much of a response. It's interesting that people seemed to lend greater importance to the 'pool' part of my post--which is fine, but what I'm truly after is a little bit of grittiness, maybe even nastiness. Okay not nastiness, that sounds like a strip club. Just something to contrast with the usual slick, heavily-made-up Hong Kong scene (does anyone else think it's a little weird that all these venues have their own websites?).

    Anyway, I remember reading about Racks MDB in Tatler, I think--pity I'm not fly enough to be friends with the gang or have enough connections to gain membership. Pretty tight place, although I’m not sure how successful they are in carrying out their purported “anti-pretension” objective, since exclusive upper-echelon bohemians are about as pretentious as things get.

    I'll definitely take a look at Joe Billiards and try to find Club71, and maybe even Skitz and whatnot - thanks a lot, guys!

    Last edited by bluesuedechoux; 17-07-2008 at 11:36 AM.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong.
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesuedechoux:
    Anyway, I remember reading about Racks MDB in Tatler, I think--pity I'm not fly enough to be friends with the gang or have enough connections to gain membership. Pretty tight place, although I’m not sure how successful they are in carrying out their purported “anti-pretension” objective, since exclusive upper-echelon bohemians are about as pretentious as things get.
    Let me get this straight, you are not into upper-echelon bohemians and consider them to be pretentious, but you reference Tatler articles?

    Anyway, Racks does not require membership or connections - roll up and play, or wait your turn (note that they only have five tables...).
    However, note that the place is far from dirty and grimy. Same pseudo-polished efficiency as most of the rest of LKF (and has a website, too ).

    You might want to check out Homebase. A club rather than a bar, but slightly grimier and probably the closest you will find to a "dive" place in the general gweilo areas.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205

    Would the Handle Bar in Jaffe Road count? It's a slightly biker themed place, and looks pretty seedy from the outside (I haven't been in).


  9. #19

    Forget about the same old places in LKF and Wanchai, be more adventurous and venture out of your safety zone. Check out Mong Kok!!! Haha. TST is another good option too.


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooksing_Jai:
    Forget about the same old places in LKF and Wanchai, be more adventurous and venture out of your safety zone. Check out Mong Kok!!! Haha. TST is another good option too.
    Hey, Jooksing - Personally, a few "local" bars in Mongkok and TST turned out NOT my cuppa tea, and I'd not recommend the experience too readily, unless you don't mind the groups around playing dice and drinking games, and the wall-to-wall Canto-pop or replayed-to-death MTV! But the iced buckets of beers are the cheapest, which makes the awful din bearable for all of half an hour...

    (Nothing matches the drink places in Beijing though - not quite the same scene, atmosphere, nor prices!)

    Re: Homebase, on the island
    Used to be our last stop before home, and nobody turns up there till way after 1 or 2am... Dark and somewhat dingy, but OK place to lay one's tired bones, with no care for "decor" or how things look.
    Last edited by sera; 17-07-2008 at 05:29 PM.