give me some dirty, grimey bars.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Homebase has some extremely comfortable couches too. The last time I was there, some guy was making good use of them and getting some shuteye.

Let me get this straight, you are not into upper-echelon bohemians and consider them to be pretentious, but you reference Tatler articles?
    1. Embedded in my comment on how superciliously the high-class hipster scene guards its privacy is a little bit of, ahem, jealousy perhaps? Nah, just kidding--sortof. In reality, I don't mind them that much, and as I mentioned in my first post I do enjoy the streamlined, fast-paced nightlife/social environment that Hong Kong is somewhat known for... I just don't like being limited to it. I want something alternative, in the true sense of the word. Racks did fulfill that requirement in one regard, in that it claimed to focus more on 'artsy' than it did on 'trendy'--but unfortunately both 'artsy' and 'trendy' have a similar propensity for 'posh.' The kind of 'posh' that doesn't seem to welcome me.

2. The magazine was in the doctor's waiting room. The choice was between Tatler or "New Mothers Weekly" or something.

3. Really? No membership? Well, shit--at this point I'd almost feel stupid trying to show up after what I've said about it, even if it's limited to some fairly anonymous lines on an online forum...

Which is not to say that what is said here is of no weight. All comments and suggestions are much appreciated. I shall take it all into consideration the next time I venture out into the streets of Hong Kong...

Sounds like Wanchai is the place for you then. Plenty of grime and not much pretentiousness.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesuedechoux:
    Racks did fulfill that requirement in one regard, in that it claimed to focus more on 'artsy' than it did on 'trendy'--but unfortunately both 'artsy' and 'trendy' have a similar propensity for 'posh.' The kind of 'posh' that doesn't seem to welcome me.
    Hm , I would classify Racks as neither 'artsy' or 'trendy'. It is 'commercial' - just like most of LKF (and I mean this in a non-judgmental kind of way).

Quote Originally Posted by bluesuedechoux:
    ...how superciliously the high-class hipster scene guards its privacy...
    Some of our fellow board members who tend to be a little pedantic when it comes to the proper use of English are bound to take issue with phrases like that

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Some of our fellow board members who tend to be a little pedantic when it comes to the proper use of English are bound to take issue with phrases like that
    Wait, really? What's wrong with it--run on sentence? Convoluted syntax? Or did I actually misuse a term? Enlighten me (and I mean that in a non-confrontational way).

Originally Posted by bluesuedechoux
    ..."how superciliously the high-class hipster scene guards its privacy"...

Beechy, I thought Bluesuedechoux, typed rather poetically lol.

I can relate to what Bluesuede is saying, I really miss Melbourne's back room, Pub live band venues, like St Kilda's Esplanade ( The Espy )Hotel. Or Hawthorns Geebung Polo Club Hotel, on a Sunday afternoon, live ( Original material ) music playing, great crowd mix, positive vibe, have not found anything in Hong Kong that really feels the same, gave up looking a long time ago.

Sai Kungs Xtreme got very close, as it was/is owned by an Aussie who is related to the Lee Jeans clothing Empire.( Adam ).

They had a ( Covers only ) band on Saturday nights, 2 up stairs open loft pool tables, the place was great, in my opinion. Last time I was in Sai Kung, Xtreme looked pretty closed though.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 19-07-2008 at 11:04 AM.

There are plenty of dives in HK... Wan Chai is a complete dive!

If you want 'artsy' you can try 'Joyce is not here' on Peel. There's a new Jazz club/bar facing it too but I haven't checked it out because it was fit to burst when I last passed it. It's bound to be pretentious but without the clean lines and chrome of Wyndham.

I also like Yumla. It's a place to go in your jeans and flip-flops and drink partially on the street/steps outside. Feels like a back-packers haunt. Don't go to homebase on the right side of 4am unless you like dancing alone! Last time I was there, I saw 2 men on the bed, and they weren't catching 40 winks, I'll tell ya! Mmmm, seedy.

I recently tried Gecko too, looking for a more relaxed vibe and had an OK time but felt a bit like I was gatecrashing my parents' party!

Personally, I like a bit of dice-rattling now and again with a $100 bucket of beer. A1 bar just above/below the Flying Pan in Wan Chai can be fun for an hour or so.

Lastly, I live in Kennedy Town so I would have to recommend the little local bars (Local like: 'I'm going down the local', not HK local, although the crowd is not as expat dominant as Central). The Place and the other new ones on Davis Street are friendly and fun.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll find your dirtiness!

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty:
    There are plenty of dives in HK... Wan Chai is a complete dive!

If you want 'artsy' you can try 'Joyce is not here' on Peel. There's a new Jazz club/bar facing it too but I haven't checked it out because it was fit to burst when I last passed it. It's bound to be pretentious but without the clean lines and chrome of Wyndham.

I also like Yumla. It's a place to go in your jeans and flip-flops and drink partially on the street/steps outside. Feels like a back-packers haunt. Don't go to homebase on the right side of 4am unless you like dancing alone! Last time I was there, I saw 2 men on the bed, and they weren't catching 40 winks, I'll tell ya! Mmmm, seedy.

I recently tried Gecko too, looking for a more relaxed vibe and had an OK time but felt a bit like I was gatecrashing my parents' party!

Personally, I like a bit of dice-rattling now and again with a $100 bucket of beer. A1 bar just above/below the Flying Pan in Wan Chai can be fun for an hour or so.

Lastly, I live in Kennedy Town so I would have to recommend the little local bars (Local like: 'I'm going down the local', not HK local, although the crowd is not as expat dominant as Central). The Place and the other new ones on Davis Street are friendly and fun.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll find your dirtiness!
    "Joyce is not here" is DEFINITELY an artsy place from the decor to the service to the very gay waiter. It also has the most incredibly clean bathroom I've ever seen in HK. Haven't been there in over a year though, so I don't know how valid my experience is now.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty:
    Wan Chai is a complete dive!

How very dare you!

The Wanch is wanchai should meet your requirements, but it doesn't have any pool. I always describe it as a rundown place whereas a friend of mine who's quite fond of the place and a regular band player there takes offense and says that its a place with lot of character...give it a shot if you haven't already..

Later

G