give me some dirty, grimey bars.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

give me some dirty, grimey bars.

From my ventures into the Hong Kong nightlife, I've gathered that it is characterized by an effervescent mix of chic sophistication and sybaritic debauchery. Or at least that's what's hot in the expat scene, it seems. In all honesty, there are times when I do love bringing out the bling and the heels, shelling out a couple hundred bucks on fluorescent-lit drinks and dancing the night away to house and club music, but sometimes...

... sometimes I just want to hang around in my jeans and my The Smiths shirt, at some fairly dingy little bar somewhere, having a smoke and/or a beer with friends over a game of pool. I've spent some time in Beijing and I was rather fond of the "alternative" scene there. There's something endearing about small, somewhat rundown venues that still offer in the most honest way possible a good time. Of course, finding places as cheap as those in Beijing is out of the question for a city like Hong Kong, but to those of you who pride yourselves in being indie, alternative, or whatever: do you have any good suggestions? I've heard The Wanch is good for live rock -- is it good for just chilling out as well? Or are there places for Wanch-regulars to hang around in when they're not in the mood for rocking out?

Make the most of the smoking - only 12 months to go before the total ban!

There aren't many bars in HK, except a few in LKF, which have much of a dress code. Jeans and a t-shirt are fine at any bar in Wanchai. Early evening they can be pretty cheap too (e.g. beers at Joe Bananas are $15 6-9pm).

Last edited by PDLM; 14-07-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo

You can smoke and play pool in the Canny Man.

Well yes, but on a rather itty-bitty little pool table with those funny red & yellow balls!

You could try Kangaroos in Wanchai, but it tends to attract a pretty young crowd as well (think 16+).

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    You could try Kangaroos in Wanchai, but it tends to attract a pretty young crowd as well (think 16+).
    That has been closed for a few months now (or did it move?). They still have their bar in LKF though.

no both the kangaroos in wan chai and lkf closed. if its pool you want, you could go to skitz on wan chai which is good or racks in lkf

Or Joe's Billiards, which is as smoky as you could possibly want (despite not having a smoking exemption).

Quote Originally Posted by philipsteel:
    no both the kangaroos in wan chai and lkf closed. if its pool you want, you could go to skitz on wan chai which is good or racks in lkf
    Wow, I had no idea. They were among the most laidback bars I've ever been to.

The one in TST is still there (serving "pints" in 50cl glasses).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast