The American Peking Restuarant, Wanchai

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why we love The American

We first ate there as 'newbies' in October 1973. The restaurant was in Wanchai Road ( not to be confused with The New American) . They soon moved to Lockhart Road next to the small playground. Business started in the present location in about 1979.

Our children grew up eating at The American. My son will be visiting for the 7s and wants to go there at least twice in ten days. I think you need this kind of history to really appreciate the place. The waiters know us and I have not looked at the menu for years.

It is true that the place was popular with US servicemen and tourists. Howvwer, last Saturday the place was packed and there no tourists downstairs. Usually it is expats and large groups upstairs and locals ( both western and Chinese) and old timers downstairs. We'll be downstairs this evening. See you there!!

Quote Originally Posted by rolling smith:
    Been there once but i didn't find anything special about the place. It was OK but not great.

Why is this restaurant so well known and is it really that popular?
    I think the problem is in the name. Is it american food, Peking food, american chinese food? I was hoping they had general chow chicken.

I ate there (as part of a group, I didn't choose it) last week. I thought it was pretty awful to be honest. It seemed to have only the worst of the "overseas" chinese food (strange bread bun things? I was told they were very hot in the USA, I thought they were pathetic) and none of the really good real chinese food!

Does anyone know a place that serves actual "American Chinese" fast food, like General Tso's Chicken or Moo Shu pork?

I really crave that imitation Chinese food now....

Chopsticks by Tsui Hang Village does American style Chinese takeout. It's only for delivery and only after 6pm. Order through Cuisine Courier.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I ate there (as part of a group, I didn't choose it) last week. I thought it was pretty awful to be honest. It seemed to have only the worst of the "overseas" chinese food (strange bread bun things? I was told they were very hot in the USA, I thought they were pathetic) and none of the really good real chinese food!
    OOOh is it really overseas chinese food? Guess probably this is why I like the food there. Well I don't think it's very western tho. Somehow these days I can't help thinking of its sweet&sour chicken and sth like crispy shredded beef.
    Last edited by Tomoe; 19-02-2009 at 05:48 PM.

I am trying to find a restaurant which does American chinese, like General Tso's Chicken with Broccoli, fortune cookies which dont make sense, Mexican delivery boys, authentic nyc style chinese! (ok all criteria dont need to be met)
    I thguoht my search ended when i came across this "American Peking" restaurant but doesnt sound like that serves the fare i am looking for.
    Is there another restaurant on HK island that does?

Talking No Westernised Chinese Food Please!

Quote Originally Posted by wildwildeast:
    I am trying to find a restaurant which does American chinese, like General Tso's Chicken with Broccoli, fortune cookies which dont make sense, Mexican delivery boys, authentic nyc style chinese! (ok all criteria dont need to be met)
    I thguoht my search ended when i came across this "American Peking" restaurant but doesnt sound like that serves the fare i am looking for.
    Is there another restaurant on HK island that does?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want the sort of 'Chinese' food served up in the USA you might have to wait until you go back there. HK is full of restaurants so why not try some of them and learn to appreciate the food. If you do, you might find that, like me, you would not be seen 'dead' in a Chinese place in the US! Try Lamma for seafood.

We arrive back in HK on December 9th and will be at The American on 10th for dinner - COME AND JOIN US

This is what I wrote in Feburary

'We first ate there as 'newbies' in October 1973. The restaurant was in Wanchai Road ( not to be confused with The New American) . They soon moved to Lockhart Road next to the small playground. Business started in the present location in about 1979.

Our children grew up eating at The American. My son will be visiting for the 7s and wants to go there at least twice in ten days. I think you need this kind of history to really appreciate the place. The waiters know us and I have not looked at the menu for years.

Talking The American is Written in Our Hearts!

Quote Originally Posted by rolling smith:
    Been there once but i didn't find anything special about the place. It was OK but not great.

Why is this restaurant so well known and is it really that popular?
    Please see my reply to wildwildeast for a longer comment.

Our three children grew up eating at The American. I think you need this kind of history to really appreciate the place. The waiters know us and I have not looked at the menu for years.

Try it again but go with a group. Spring Deer is an option on Kowloon side. The menu is similar. We are in UK now but will be at The American on December 10th.
    Best regards, a nostalgic old timer

Same restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by veryoldtimer:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want the sort of 'Chinese' food served up in the USA you might have to wait until you go back there. HK is full of restaurants so why not try some of them and learn to appreciate the food. If you do, you might find that, like me, you would not be seen 'dead' in a Chinese place in the US! Try Lamma for seafood.

We arrive back in HK on December 9th and will be at The American on 10th for dinner - COME AND JOIN US

This is what I wrote in Feburary

'We first ate there as 'newbies' in October 1973. The restaurant was in Wanchai Road ( not to be confused with The New American) . They soon moved to Lockhart Road next to the small playground. Business started in the present location in about 1979.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Is this the same restaurant called "May Lay Gain" in Chinese? If so, it used to be next to a Chinese cinema (I belileve it was called "Kwok Tai" Cinema) and then the restaurant moved somewhere in Wanchai during the 1970s. I had been eating there since I was 5 and the famous dish there was the fried spring chicken. The last time I was in Hong Kong, I was told it no longer existed; is that true? If not, please furnish me with the new address because I am dying to eat at that restaurant again.

Thanks.