Ani-Com

Closed Thread

Ani-Com

As a video/card/tabletop/roleplaying game, sci-fi/fantasy and anime/manga/cartoon fan (tldr: Nerd), I'm interested in various conventions around the world that cater to these likes. After a bit of research for when I head to HK, the only one that seems to stand out is Ani-Com, in the Hong Kong Convention centre.

Regretfully, I'll miss it this year, but if anyone's been to a previous year, or has information about similar events on in HK, I'd love to hear about them. I'm especially interested in how they seem to English-speaking people, seeing as how I still am struggling with basic Cantonese...

Last edited by IreOlcas; 23-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.

I popped in a couple of years ago,I found that most people went there to check out the cosplay girls of which there were many... some hot, some not.

There's not much that caters to English at Ani-Com, everything is in Chinese/Korean/Japanese. You won't find any talks, performances, artists in English.

I went last year with the missus, she wanted to try cosplay once in her life. It was a different sort of experience, I wouldn't say I didn't like it, just different.

We've been for the last few years with a group of 10 year old boys. We just go play with the latest video consoles and games. We pick up a few too. Cosplay is big and we love looking at all the costumes too.

So it seems that Ani-Com is pretty much lacking in content for people who can't yet speak/read Cantonese huh? Still, it will probably be interesting enough to visit for a day next year.

Anyone know of anything similar that's better for english speakers? Obviously it wouldn't be as big, but I'm sure there's similar clubs or groups out there in Hong Kong...

Since when is it a requirement to speak english to enjoy an anime convention?
    Plenty people from all over the world visit the Tokyo Anime Fair, you won't hear them worrying about english...

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Since when is it a requirement to speak english to enjoy an anime convention?
    Plenty people from all over the world visit the Tokyo Anime Fair, you won't hear them worrying about english...
    Good for them, and more power to them.

Personally, I like to understand what's going on, or what someone is saying, but that's just me.

Not to say I won't look in and probably won't enjoy it. Not at all. But having some english-speaking events/guests/activities wouldn't be a bad thing to me.

Last year i went to CWHK, and even if not-so-big it was quite great, also this year I'll go to the anicon and hope to meet few nice people