Like Tree6Likes

Places to Watch NFL Games

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by PackerFan
    Ya it only works outside the U.S., unless you get all tricky and use a connection that shows you being outside the U.S.

For our purposes, gamepass works well. I buy the (1 team only) pass for my team, and it's $169.99.

I have a coupon code: REP15 to get 15% off, it worked about a month ago, so I think it's still working.

The $270 is the works package. All games, playoffs, redzone channel, etc. For the Superbowl, every sports bar in Hong Kong will be playing it (it's pretty fun to watch it in a HK bar with 100+ people cheering about American football. That's a must do, except then heading off to work...), and some of the playoffs are in the bars as well (and it's on 680).. So i don't bother for anything but regular season. And I don't watch other teams live so the $144.49 (Net coupon) works for me.
    thanks for the details.
    i usually watch 2 games a week, roughly, so i'm tempted by the full package.
    i watched the SB in HK last year, btw - at The Globe, IIRC.
    But I wanted to ask - did you (or anyone else) use this in the past? How well did it work? Was it reliable?
    Thanks

bdw

I hadn't heard of it before. Sounds interesting. I couldn't find NFL channel on the listing but maybe it's not updated.

http://www.maigetv.tv/maigechlist.jpg
    Attached is a more up to date listing of the Maige channels (courtesy of another user Tripp who uploaded into these forums). There is also a bunch of other American channels like ESPN1, ESPN2, TSN, NBC Sports, NBA TV, etc, and lots of non sports channels like NBC4 (New York), ABC7, CBS, Fox, CNN USA, etc that should keep you Americans happy

You can pick up the box from a dodgy looking stall in Ap Liu Street Sham Shui Po for $2400 including first year of service, or some online resellers as well for around the same price with free shipping to HK. Renewals cost HK$600 per year.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forgot to mention USTVNow. It's free for people outside the US (but are from the US, just lie to them when you sign up.)

You get SD streams for the broadcast networks and other channels so you can watch it live. The connection gets really bad when it's gametime so I don't recommend it unless you're REALLY in a bind. There's a pay service for HD and you get ESPN and other channels, but importantly you also get DVR capabilities, so just record the primetime games and watch it later at night.

The problem is, since they just stream from a local provider, you might be getting the games from a Jacksonville affiliate. So it's best to use it for primetime games. I mainly use it to watch Maury or Price is Right if I'm having trouble sleeping...

Bob Loblaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pkboy
    Forgot to mention USTVNow. ... The connection gets really bad when it's gametime so I don't recommend it unless you're REALLY in a bind.
    i'll say! i was messing around with it last night, it was kind of neat to be able to watch some of the morning shows - 'breakfast telly,' apparently, for the Brits - after dinner.
    but it's not showing the seahawks/packers game at all. i mean, the game's listed, but not only will it not come up on-screen, the css file for the listings isn't even loading. oh well. work beckons anyway.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 05-09-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: clarity

bdw

The Maige channel 267 (NBC New York) is showing the NFL kickoff in full HD right now, including all the pregame entertainment with Pharrell Williams etc and now the Seahawks/packers game.

woteva6891 likes this.

too bad the packers lost. too many injuries on the line.

how does the maige thing work? do you have to pay to watch American channels like ESPN etc.?

if it's free, then I could consider getting it. otherwise, NFL game pass works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
    thanks for the details.
    i usually watch 2 games a week, roughly, so i'm tempted by the full package.
    i watched the SB in HK last year, btw - at The Globe, IIRC.
    But I wanted to ask - did you (or anyone else) use this in the past? How well did it work? Was it reliable?
    Thanks

How did what work? Game Pass? Or those magic boxes?

I've only used game pass. It's as good as your internet connection. If you have good connection then you can get the games in HD. I've had HD quality on my phone and on my laptop.

Out of trying free streams, and slingbox, and various other things, by far the NFL game pass is the most stable feed and best quality I have seen. It's good enough that I can plug my laptop into the TV and it's very clear. There may be occasional hiccups, but overall it's very good.

Although Nothing beats the quality of NowTV channels 680/681 (it looks like this year NowTV is using channel 681 to show NFL games). That is in HD and as good as seeing it in the U.S. Except this year no seeing the same 4-6 commercials for 3 hours week after week, month after month, year after year. Now it just goes to a bland stationary screen during TV timeouts. So far I like that better than that feeling of wanting to rip out my eyeballs for seeing the same commercial for the 40th thousand time.

NOW TV offers a NFL season ticket for about $700. If you already have 680 ASN, you are free to watch 681.

Checked the Maige TV last week, get live games on NFL, ESPN, CBS & NBC, only the FOX was not showing football games. I usually get stream in HD quality from a fan of my team from its local TV channel, so more pre- or post-game shows to watch.

What's News - now TV

Last edited by mingming; 11-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    PackerFan likes this.

How did what work? Game Pass? Or those magic boxes?

I'd meant Game Pass -though since posting that, I've subscribed and now have it at home. Like you said, it seems to be as good as the internet connection.
    We don't have an actual tv, so I'm assuming that all of those boxes - maige, now, etc - would wind up costing us more, seeing as we'd have to get the tv, along with any other boxes we would need, etc.

it is nice having those condensed games. a little faster than i'd like, but beats the tedium of the field goal - ads - kickoff with touchback - ads - two plays then a red flag - ads that you get w/ the full broadcast.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 12-09-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: than/then

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
    I'd meant Game Pass -though since posting that, I've subscribed and now have it at home. Like you said, it seems to be as good as the internet connection.
    We don't have an actual tv, so I'm assuming that all of those boxes - maige, now, etc - would wind up costing us more, seeing as we'd have to get the tv, along with any other boxes we would need, etc.

it is nice having those condensed games. a little faster than i'd like, but beats the tedium of the field goal - ads - kickoff with touchback - ads - two plays then a red flag - ads that you get w/ the full broadcast.
    I'm glad to hear you got the NFL game pass!!

It sounds like you watched the previously recorded "condensed" version. I circled in red.

That is the prerecorded 35 minute version with NO replays, no ads, and just the action. I only watch that in the preseason or to just quickly sift through something. Everything is stripped out and if you want to watch a replay you'd need to rewind. sometimes you miss stuff as the plays go by so fast. This can be really nice if you watch multiple games.

But the prerecorded broadcast version is the full game with kickoffs, replays, everything. The only thing stripped out is the commercials. So it's a 2 hour version. This is the best. You get to hear the commentary, watch replays, everything, but avoid the annoying TV timeouts every 3 minutes. You save ONE HOUR!!!

Finally if you are slightly crazy and need to WATCH LIVE at 1AM or 4AM (me), then the broadcast version is a full 3 hours. You have to wait through the TV timeouts (although sometimes they will show U.S. commercials which is fun). Even if you start watching an hour late or something, but the game is still live, they will only offer the broadcast 3 hour version.
    Last edited by PackerFan; 12-09-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5