Entertain me Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Entertain me Hong Kong?

I have been living in Hong Kong for years on end and I have to say (as do many-a-folks that I have come across) that this is possibly one of the dullest cities when it comes to entertainment!.. Well, unless all you want to do is go do some shopping and then head to the pub. Heck, a three block town in the Irish countryside had more interest-clubs and other random community stuff to do.

So here's the question... besides shopping and drinking, is there much else to do here? Indoor and outdoor stuff?

Also, is there much fun to be had here without spending copious amounts of money? Besides trail-walking. lol

And don't get me wrong...I'm not bashing the city...I've been here for years and love(d) it here, but I'm getting a bit bored of the same old stuff.

Last edited by acreativenameeh; 27-08-2008 at 06:59 PM.

I know what you mean. 2 years in and the hangovers are getting boring. I am currently looking into sporting type activities. I am signed up to one of the government run kayaking courses which is under $100 for 2 days. Since it's way up in the NTs, I'll be camping too. There are lots of water sports available. Wake boarding seems to be the latest crazy but it can be expensive. Once I've done some kayaking training, I can hire one from Stanley or the other water sports centres. I can't recommend the government schemes more highly. You can do anything from sailing to fencing for about $80 but you need to go into a ballot.

I also like adventures around the place. I use HK magazine or here to find random activities to join in. There is also a wide range of clubs in HK magazine (one was unicycle hockey!!). There are lots of team sports around too. Have you also looked at the YWCA for evening classes?

I think you'll find something to fill in your time if you research a little.

Yeah, party promoters aren't very creative here in HK. Back in Toronto, there are cool events every weekend of the summer, like boat parties, beach parties, parties in parking lots, etc... and I don't mean just a gathering of people... it's full on parties with DJ's and massive sound systems. I honestly don't really go out that much in HK anymore.

BTW... if someone set up a sound system and DJ on a beach, and invite people to party, is that legal here? Do such parties exist in HK? if so, please enlighten me cuz I've never heard of one, and with so many little beaches in HK, I would have thought someone would throw a jam like that on occasion.

(ppl from Toronto may know about the Cherry Beach parties we have.... such great times!)

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 27-08-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Off the top of my head...

There is a pub quiz running somewhere almost every night of the week - no need to drink if you don't want to.
    There's a very wide range of food. No comment on quality, but how about trying to eat a different culture/country's cuisine every week?
    As far as I know, the Monday night juggling club is still running in Victoria Park - I only made it there once, but I really should try to go back.
    To echo goodbye kitty, I did a dancing class last year at the YMCA, and they seem to have loads of other classes running. I'm not exactly a natural dancer (although I do have rhythm) but it was a fun change.
    There are lots of small and large film festivals in Hong Kong - why not check out some random non-Hollywood, non-Chinese movies? I've been involved in the Hong Kong Jewish Film Festival in the past, which will run in November this year.
    Things like junk trips with friends.
    If HK is really too much, go to Macau or Shenzhen.
    Really random stuff: I went to a lecture a while back on the different historical narratives presented by the Hong Kong and Singapore tourist authorities, and how it lead tourists - and locals - to see the cities differently. Not suggesting that would exactly match your interest, but there's a lot of random stuff going on out there if you keep the odd eye and ear open.
    And there's something interesting to someone on at least once a week at the Fringe Club, and that's just one venue.

fm7

I know what you mean. Been here two years and coming back from summer holidays was like hitting a wall. I do like eating and fashion (for a guy), but I'm not into hiking, excessive drinking or sports (having spent so much of my youth and young adulthood playing highly competative sports).

My observations,

HK has a tiny arts scene, but there are some decent galleries, a few events and the people involve are sometimes quite keen to meet interested punters.
    HK has a tiny live music scene (and way too many farty old touring acts getting the publicity), but it is growing and there are a few decent gigs going every month.
    HK has a tiny film scene, but as mentioned, there are some great festivals and a decent selection of non-Hollywood films if you look out for them.
    HK has a decent adult education scene. There's lots of classes in language, cooking, photography and so on (and a growing number in wine).
    A lot of the coolest stuff in only happening in Cantonese.

Hey guys,
    what a nice topic, I am feeling you guys.
    When i was back in Arizona, I used to BBQ at my friend's house, HALO time, cold beer, bowling, cruise around town or even 80's night every Monday. Those just my regular picks list. -_-

Once I moved here, besides work and the only activity that makes me feel relax / fun would be basketball. I have not get a chance to met anybody who got the similar background like me, so this is a pretty cool site I think.

Shopping / window shopping doesn't make me feel relax or feel good. I believe life should be about bonding to each other, be possitive and productive, right?

By the way this is Donald, nice to meet you all and I am mid 20's. If you like Trance/LL Cool J/basketball...feel free to write me anytime.
    [email protected]
    take care,
    -Donald

Same case here. Used to BBQ with frd in their backyard. Going to all kinds of fairs in the summer......doing fun stuff every other day after work.........NOW is just bored, work and sleep...no life.....
    How about getting out to meet more americanize people, activities such as watching college football together....here's a good one, but quite early in the morning...
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread30819.html

Hong Kong is really no different than any other big city in the world. Whatever you want to do it is probably out there.

A good point was made above- there's things happening, but it's in the local language so you might miss it.

There are many forums for HK ppl, but they are in Chinese, so I assume you dont look at them (I cant read either, so I dont either, but from time to time I have a friend look at them for me)

Well whats stopping you from getting Timeout or HK magazine which lists pretty much everything thats going on in HK.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast