Sunday Roast, Yorkshire Pudds and the lot

Closed Thread

In UK, Bradford In Hong Kong Tai Po Market

Sunday Roast, Yorkshire Pudds and the lot

Hey,

Been in Hong Kong for a couple of weeks and from UK (British born Chinese/ Yorkshire lad!!!!). Am here for at least another month- ish and am gagging for a decent roast. I have been traveling abroad for nearly a year now and the best that i found was in Sydney (tho the pudds were awful!!! ). Anyone fancy a roast and pint or know of anywhere that does a decent one? If you also know of anywhere that might do a good apple crumble with custard, u will be my hero!!! haha!!! PM me!!

Andrew

The Delaney's chain (Delaney's in Wanchai & TST, Dublin Jack in LKF) do a reasonable "Pub roast". Not sure about the crumble.

The Dickens Bar in the Excelsior has a very decent crumble - but then I've been finely trained by the various HK establishments to not expect too much.

Delaneys is very good, but for the ultimate, get to the FCC. The crumble is to die for.

How can you eat at the FCC if you are not a member, an associate member, as an invited known guest, or accompanied by a member who has a tab there.? Its a private members only club, isn't it ?.....

Welcome to The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Hong Kong I assume pseudolus meant, the Hong Kong Foreign Corespondents " Club " , unless they were referring to something else....

Last edited by Skyhook; 13-09-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Yes - but pretty much every expat in HK knows someone who's a member in the FCC don't they?

Maybe we should organise a Geo-crumblefest there sometime?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    How can you eat at the FCC if you are not a member, an associate member, as an invited known guest, or accompanied by a member who has a tab there.? Its a private members only club, isn't it ?.....

Welcome to The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Hong Kong I assume pseudolus meant, the Hong Kong Foreign Corespondents " Club " , unless they were referring to something else....
    I've only been here about 5 months, and I've been there several times as the guest of three different people. Blimey, you'd think I'd suggested having lunch on the moon judging by this reaction.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Simply contact a Yorkshire news paper, the smaller the better and offer to be their man in HK, for free. Once you receive the official name tag, with the tassles from say the East Riding News, you will be able to enter the hallowed bar of the FCC and run up a tab.
    If you also print out some name cards with say the title of Crumble Critic for the ERN then who knows-you may not have to shell out for a crumble ever again

Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus:
    I've only been here about 5 months, and I've been there several times as the guest of three different people. Blimey, you'd think I'd suggested having lunch on the moon judging by this reaction.
    The only reaction was of your own interpretation, that there was something funny going on.

The original poster stated that he has only been in Hong Kong for 2 weeks, and unless, he has some how managed to befriend a member of the FCC in that short time, it seemed a bit silly offering it as a dining location, without knowing a FCC member to allow them entry.

Granted, as PDLM rightfully stated, it isn't difficult to find 3 or 4 people in ones circle of friends that are members, but fresh off the plane, in 2 weeks is a little too convenient, unless you are already working in the media.....

i wasn't trying to be funny btw, just clarifying that it was the same FCC, and not another place.

Now if someone here is willing to take the OP there for an apple crumble, on their tab, I am sure they will appreciate it...

potatoe ash or tati ash

hey Andrew. I got the pan on now, its not hotpot today but tati ash. You know it from over the border. (lancs)