Like Tree16Likes

No wonder people call HK as "Desert of Culture"…

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

HK is in a cultural peak at the moment but it goes up and down as expats in the mix leave and arrive. More locals are needed to get involved to maintain it consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by celestineL:
    Yes, Hong Kong is a food paradise. Yes, Hong Kong is full of shopping malls. You won't get starved or lack of places to buy luxuary stuff when you're living in a city like this. But is it really a fine place for culture activities?? I don't think so. It's so hard to find and participate in a quality cultural event...
    That may help you:

Hong Kong Ticketing

城市售票網 - 更新您的書簽

https://www.hk.artsfestival.org/en/

Le French May

Opera Hong Kong Offical Website

The Hong Kong Ballet

https://www.artbasel.com/en/hong-kong
    Cho-man, Hestia and jrkob like this.

Yes OP, HK is often accused of being a cultural desert. But that label isn't entirely fair. There are not only art festivals mentioned by the other posters, there are also dedicated groups of local artists who strive to pursue their chosen profession despite a lack of support (and sometimes even open hostility) from their own families and peers as well as government indifference. They have to fight against a society that don't notice and respect contemporary local artists. That in my opinion, makes them all the more admirable.

Besides, there are plenty of traditional Chinese culture and arts in HK. Chinese painting, calligraphy, Penjing (called Bonsai in Japan) and performing arts (i.e. Cantonese Opera) are all here in HK. You just need to know where to look.

Last edited by Cho-man; 15-04-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    z754103 and Paxbritannia like this.

FYI .. just got this email from the Fringe Club ...

Dozens of events .. Macbeth ... Concerts ... Improv... Jazz ...

http://t.rimanggis.com/activities_we...2f386abf.xhtml

Last edited by shri; 15-04-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Yes OP, HK is often accused of being a cultural desert. But that label isn't entirely fair. There are not only art festivals mentioned by the other posters, there are also dedicated groups of local artists who strive to pursue their chosen profession despite a lack of support (and sometimes even open hostility) from their own families and peers as well as government indifference. They have to fight against a society that don't notice and respect contemporary local artists. That in my opinion, makes them all the more admirable.

Besides, there are plenty of traditional Chinese culture and arts in HK. Chinese painting, calligraphy, Penjing (called Bonsai in Japan) and performing arts (i.e. Cantonese Opera) are all here in HK. You just need to know where to look.
    music wise, note that there are no ground break or genre define artist from HK or any Chinese speaking country, ( at least there have been some artist with Chinese ethnicity have made some waves in the music industry, but are overseas born) which has caught the world audience or at least the critics, probably due to single dominating music company, hence, why we get these designed for a target market ballads artists who have none or little talent

culture is as culture does

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    music wise, note that there are no ground break or genre define artist from HK or any Chinese speaking country, ( at least there have been some artist with Chinese ethnicity have made some waves in the music industry, but are overseas born) which has caught the world audience or at least the critics, probably due to single dominating music company, hence, why we get these designed for a target market ballads artists who have none or little talent
    My mother could sing better than some of the newer canto-pop stars out there now.

Still, leaving aside the commercial music industry and getting back to the broader art scene, there are HK artists who labour and keep at it despite a hostile environment. They deserve recognition, if not support.

I feel the OP has a very valid point to be honest.

When we were in Melbourne last, we were kept pretty busy every day with things that ' WE ' like to do, that we often cant in HK, or cant be fucked with because the over crowding issue of publicly free events which are usually a shit experience.

The thing I also like about Melbourne is the geographic diversity of things that are going on, its not all focussed on the CBD, which would absolutely SHIT ME to tears if that were the case !

Just to give you an idea ( website below of whats on just for April ) and this is just the tip of the iceberg, if you include stage theatres, awesome live music venues like the Espy Hotel. Factor in BIG music ( big day out etc ) events, Moomba,The Melbourne Show, Grape grazing day in the yarra valley, the Tesselaar Tulip Festival, a number of major international sporting events ie Cricket, the Melbourne Cup, Surfing comps at Bells Beach, Tennis, the Formula 1 Grand Prix etc etc etc.
    http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/what...e-calendar.php

This is just whats going on over the next week..lol
    http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/what...5#.VS8dRKaOd1o
    hmm, Hong Kong never really did it for me when it came to leisure activities, it actually cramped my style quite a bit when I first moved here. It still continues to do so, but I enjoy where I live out here in Sai Kung, with plenty of space around us, so that makes living here bearable.

Fortunately ( not all is lost ) we can travel abroad to make up for things. We LOVE hangin out in Paris with family and friends, for many of the same reasons I enjoy Melbourne, while I also really like Tokyo. The LARGE parks in Tokyo and young bands that play at some of them if the weather is good on a weekend, I really enjoy that. Plus, there are a myriad of amusement parks, aquariums, Odaiba ( MegaWeb etc ) on top of a whole stack of other things ( Meiji Shrine and the like ) while being orderly and not ruined by HK style crowds. quite enjoyable.

Anyway.. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Skyhook; 16-04-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Simple breakdown:

a) there is nothing to do in Hong Kong
    b) there are cultural events in HK but of poor quality
    c) there are cultural events in HK of good quality but not what I like
    d) people should not complain there is something for everyone, just go find it

Sums it up?

Skyhook and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by longcele:
    Absolutely cannot deny that. My colleagues and friends can easily name dozen of fine restaurants, but never could find a worth-watching musical or what-so-ever.
    Sound of music is in town.
    Cats was in Macau few weeks ago

Change colleagues

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks
    Cho-man likes this.