Like Tree38Likes

Ocean Park first time in 15+ years of HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The crowds there are horrendous, the mainlanders take pushing into a queue to a whole new level. Normally when you're queueing for something and someone tries to push in, they'd slowly shoulder into position. With the crowds in Ocean Park, they physically barge you out of the way so that their entire family gets in front of you.

Then there's the underground carriage. We took the cable car first and then the underground on the way back. Normal MTR crush doesn't even compare, think Tokyo commuting hour crush. The carriage which I was in actually reopened its doors and the attendant had to ask for some people to get off as it was too overloaded.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    The crowds there are horrendous, the mainlanders take pushing into a queue to a whole new level. Normally when you're queueing for something and someone tries to push in, they'd slowly shoulder into position. With the crowds in Ocean Park, they physically barge you out of the way so that their entire family gets in front of you.

Then there's the underground carriage. We took the cable car first and then the underground on the way back. Normal MTR crush doesn't even compare, think Tokyo commuting hour crush. The carriage which I was in actually reopened its doors and the attendant had to ask for some people to get off as it was too overloaded.
    So bottom line, the problem are the crowds. If it weren't for them, it would be much more pleasant experience?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 22-04-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    So bottom line, the problem are the crowds. If it weren't for them, it would be much more pleasant experience?
    Yes I certainly think so, I've certainly enjoyed visiting both when the parks were relatively quiet. Of course there remains the issue of animal treatment but I don't think those are unique to just OP.

Ocean Park crowds are bad ... even for some of us who do not enter it, but have to deal with the overflow of buses and related traffic problems. Add to that, there are some jewellery shops / "factories" which the tour buses MUST all stop at ...

Unfortunately with the new MTR opening I think this will get worse ..

We have an annual pass for our son .. he goes during the summer holidays / off peak hours with his friends - 2 - 4 times a year and that works out just fine for us.

Maybe there is nothing really wrong with Ocean Park itself in terms of ride and attractions (leaving aside the dolphin-in-captivity controversy for a moment). It is simply a mismatch between the expectation of 100LL (i.e how long to wait in line, the crowds etc) and what the park actually is like. In that case, it is a question of expectation and not so much a problem with the park itself.
    expectation yep that's definitely going to factor into what we interpret what a fun day out with the family at an amusement park would usually entail.

I think if OP/Disney are so overcrowded and everything that you do there is a strain, or pain in the arse, then the park fails to do what many others around the world seem to be able, to provide an enjoyable fun day out for the whole family.

Having visited Euro Disney twice, Asterix park once, Tokyo Disney once, Queenslands Dreamworld and Seaworld a couple of times, I have to say we had an AWSOME time at all of these. Did HK Disney and OP provide the same experience... err nope! The wait times for rides are unacceptably long, for young kids to endure and it aint much fun for parents either, trying to settle crying kids down who have had enough who dont understand why they have to wait so long. I think the longest ride I had to wait overseas was 45 minutes. Most were between 10 and 30 minutes which is totally fine. Most of HK' Disneys rides etc are 45, 60 and 90 minute waits !!!!! which means you get maybe 4 rides in the whole day, which is shit !

Heck, we had more fun at dinky little Luna Park in Melbourne during our last trip back, thanks to short queues etc nobody cried, we all had a good/enjoyable time. That is the whole point of going to these places, isn't it ?

HK Disney and Ocean Park fail to provide a nice enjoyable ( relaxed ) day out ' experience 'while they are soooooo crowded.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 22-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Blame the mainlanders.

my 1st and only visit to Disney was last year with my kid and some other mates + their kids, there was one ride they all waited on which it took them 45 mins, i just sat outside as my kid was sleeping, they got on the ride (dumbo the elephant), the ride lasted less than 1 min, they were shocked and totally knackered waiting so long, carrying their child, drenched in sweat. I'll never forgot seeing their faces. LOL

The only good thing about disney was the parade, the fireworks at night was oK but nothing spectacular. food and drink prices absolute rip off.

Ocean Park was sort of the same where I lined up for the roller coaster, nearly punched a mainlander, gave him lots of shit and he finally fooked off, even the other mainlanders that were lining up behind me were signalling that he and his wife were NO Good LOL, It took me 1 hour lining up and again less than 1 min for the ride to finish and this was on a weekday.

After 7 pm when most of them had fooked off it looked ok but by that time absolutely knackered. Next visit will be a night one

Skyhook likes this.

Speaking of theme parks, anyone been to Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios? Either the original one at Orlando or the new one at Osaka?

Speaking of theme parks, anyone been to Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios? Either the original one at Orlando or the new one at Osaka?
    Yeah that's one we are looking forward to going to maybe toward the later part of this year. Should be pretty awesome ! We'll do this for my youngest sons birthday, schedule permitting.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 22-04-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yeah that's one we are looking forward to going to maybe toward the later part of this year. Should be pretty awesome ! We'll do this for my youngest sons birthday.
    Sounds good. Orlando is too far away, but Osaka is close enough to contemplate a trip there.