Seafood experienced HKs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

excellent restaurant on Po Toi (also an ISland - catch a ferry from Aberdeen at weekends), also Lei Yue Mun (eastern Kowloon) main street has a plethora of seafood restaurants.

Smile Seafood in HK

Quote Originally Posted by Pekkerhead:
    excellent restaurant on Po Toi (also an ISland - catch a ferry from Aberdeen at weekends), also Lei Yue Mun (eastern Kowloon) main street has a plethora of seafood restaurants.
    Thank you, Ami.

Lei Yue Mun - Good Luck!

I've been to Lei Yue Mun many times, with varying results. What we have come to realize is that you have to know what you're doing to get a good seafood meal. If you know how to pick and choose fresh seafood, you can get a really good meal by going from one seller to another and picking the freshest seafood.

Also, if you are a return customer, the restaurant will cook you a better meal than if you are a first time customer or obvious tourist. Lei Yue Mun is mostly for tourists, as locals consider it too pricey, compared to Sai Kung

But that's true in many places in Hong Kong. Try the famous Yung Kee restaurant in Central as a nobody: you'll get shitty expensive food. Go again with someone known to the restaurant, and you can get some of the most delicious Cantonese food you've ever tasted. I've had this experience over and over again here in Hong Kong. Gotta build a relationship to get the best stuff.

So what you are basically saying RenHK, is HK's locally owned restaurant ( F & B ) industry, works on the theory of pot luck ?

I wonder if the recent Michelin restaurant reviewers, were treated as badly...?

We'll soon know, once the rankings are announced.

Last edited by Skyhook; 03-10-2008 at 04:07 PM.

try the jumbo boat in Aberdeen. Lei Yue Mun is a tourist trap unless as renhk said you go with someone known there. A lot of my local friends said that its over priced.

Another place you could try as my expat friends said is quite good is Po Toi O in Clear Water Bay, It is a village before the Golf Club, you can take the No. 16 Green minibus from PO Lam Mtr station all the way to the last stop. Mini Bus cost 7.5 per person.

Seafood in HK

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    I second Cheung Chau. Great for a good cheap(ish) meal.
    Thanks guys; I was there and you are right! great food, reasonably priced. Thanks! Amidotan

actually, we occasionally go to Jumbo for dim sum. it's REALLY good and not too bad price-wise. we've paid the same for good dim sum in tsing yi & tung chung.

HK Seafood

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    try the jumbo boat in Aberdeen. Lei Yue Mun is a tourist trap unless as renhk said you go with someone known there. A lot of my local friends said that its over priced.

Another place you could try as my expat friends said is quite good is Po Toi O in Clear Water Bay, It is a village before the Golf Club, you can take the No. 16 Green minibus from PO Lam Mtr station all the way to the last stop. Mini Bus cost 7.5 per person.
    Thanks! amidotan

Dim Sum in Tung Chung and Tsing Yi

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    actually, we occasionally go to Jumbo for dim sum. it's REALLY good and not too bad price-wise. we've paid the same for good dim sum in tsing yi & tung chung.
    Where do you go for Dim Sum in Tung Chung (i live there..) and Tsing Yi?

Thanks, amidotan

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    RED DOT Seafood experienced HKs 03-10-2008 08:07 PM Jumbo is about the most overpriced place in HK.

Just got red dotted with the above, I always thought it wasnt but seems someone thinks it is.