Seafood experienced HKs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    RED DOT Seafood experienced HKs 03-10-2008 08:07 PM Jumbo is about the most overpriced place in HK.

Just got red dotted with the above, I always thought it wasnt but seems someone thinks it is.
    It certainly used to be, but there was a change in ownership or management a couple of years (or so) ago and the quality has reportedly improved significantly. Still not cheap (since it is a tourist destination and can get away with some premium pricing) but I am told that the food is fine/adequate these days.
    Last edited by beachball; 04-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.

HK$700 for 2 person seafood menu is not that expensive (Crab, Garoupa, Shrimp etc), you get to sit in the famous Jumbo floating Palace with its great decoration instead of a normal restaurant. I would recommend any new persons coming to HK to go and eat her regardless of how many stupid red dots I get. Check out the website. Lots of delicious food to choose from in the menu section. Jumbo Kingdom

Victoria City in Sun Hung Kai Centre has outstanding dim sum and seafood.

HK Seafood

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    sai kung is also very good. had a beautiful dinner on Monday night:
    scallops
    prawns
    crab
    lobster
    squid
    fried rice
    veg
    s&s pork

including 2 cans of coke, $1200. it was enough to feed 3 adults & 2 children for dinner that night, dinner on Tuesday night and one lunch on Tuesday afternoon.
    Thanks, Sounds great! How do I get there, to Sai Kung?

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Victoria City in Sun Hung Kai Centre has outstanding dim sum and seafood.
    I could not agree more. I usually go to the branch in CITIC Tower, but the verdict is the same - excellent seafood and possibly the best dim sum in Hong Kong.
    Last edited by beachball; 04-10-2008 at 11:22 AM.

i'll check with hubby the name of the specific restaurant as some are better than others.

as to how to get there, that would depend on where you are coming from...let me know and i'll give you the best directions i can.

Quote Originally Posted by amidotan:
    Where do you go for Dim Sum in Tung Chung (i live there..) and Tsing Yi?

Thanks, amidotan

eastern gate seafood restaurant in citygate. they all know us there as we used to live in db and frequented the place. it's one of the nicest chinese restaurants i've been in as it's got a VERY high ceiling and HUGE windows. most restaurants here have really low ceilings and few windows.

as to what you can order... my FAVOURITE thing on their menu (they change the dim sum selection regularly) is the shanghai cold noodles with shredded chicken & peanut sauce! YUMMY!

the place in tsing yi is in maritime square and owned by the same company as the one in tung chung. (can't remember it's name though, sorry!)

pot luck

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    So what you are basically saying RenHK, is HK's locally owned restaurant ( F & B ) industry, works on the theory of pot luck ?
    No, if you go to Yung Kee it's not pot luck, it's a sure bet: if they don't know you, you are sure to get mediocre food. I've been there at least 6 times, because so many out of town guests have heard about the place and want to go there. When we hosted, we, being nobodies, got horrible food, including their famed goose. However, twice we were invited by locals who were old customers of the place, and the food truly lived up to its reputation. This is not the only place where we experienced this kind of thing.

Of course, this is not true of all Hong Kong restaurants, but it does seem to be one common way of doing business here. I guess they reserve their best chefs for their repeat customers, and hire a bunch of amateurs to cook for the rest of the crowds who come because of their reputation.

Dim Sum in Tung Chung and Tsing Yi

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    eastern gate seafood restaurant in citygate. they all know us there as we used to live in db and frequented the place. it's one of the nicest chinese restaurants i've been in as it's got a VERY high ceiling and HUGE windows. most restaurants here have really low ceilings and few windows.

as to what you can order... my FAVOURITE thing on their menu (they change the dim sum selection regularly) is the shanghai cold noodles with shredded chicken & peanut sauce! YUMMY!

the place in tsing yi is in maritime square and owned by the same company as the one in tung chung. (can't remember it's name though, sorry!)
    Thanks! amidotan