Like Tree19Likes

Shopping Mall v Golf Course - No contest

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    no one wants a 50% fall in property prices.
    I do....................

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    I do....................
    I second that
    Enderman likes this.

The protests are a nice distraction for the Government and property developers. Both win by encouraging the unwashed to focus of this non-government golf course.

I would suggest they point to the heavily under-market rate for yacht moorings next. Fill them in and build government ghettos. Rah Rah Rah

Unfortunately for Hong Kong to attract the best and the brightest in the world it does need sufficient rich man's recreation facilities that are not priced to obscene levels due to artificial shortages.

There is plenty of land in Hong Kong to meet the housing needs but no one wants a 50% fall in property prices.
    A good pprtion of HK populayion would love a propety price drop so...

As for the rich needing a playground. Asia overall is a huge playground. If you think a golf course is what will drive expats/ rich locala back to hk....no way...

Seriously we need a golf coursr to attract the brightest???

I think you need a lot more than that..

no one wants a 50% fall in property prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    I do....................
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtrio:
    I second that
    Sorry, I'll re-phrase, 'no one that matters wants a 50% fall in property prices'
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    A good pprtion of HK populayion would love a propety price drop so...

As for the rich needing a playground. Asia overall is a huge playground. If you think a golf course is what will drive expats/ rich locala back to hk....no way...

Seriously we need a golf coursr to attract the brightest???

I think you need a lot more than that..
    I agree here - there's a big difference between the richest people in Asia and the best and brightest in Asia. The rich people are in HK to play; the best and brightest to work. Honestly, regardless of however many golf courses are built in HK, golfers will still travel north of HK to Dongguan and Shenzhen. I shouldn't need to elaborate on the fact that there's a lot more to golf than just golf - it's very much a social and business activity.

Housing complexes

Unfortunately instead of trying to promote the game of golf the current administration is actively demonising the privately run courses. There have been no calls to resume public courses to turn into government housing ghettos

Hong Kong has far too many government housing complexes.
    I would agree on the government housing complexes. When built they never seem able to make them truly
    livable options. Tin Shui wai is an example. Lots of land. They could have built a livable community with
    low-rise housing options, parks etc. Instead...More high density, ultra-tiny apartments, and of course a couple of
    signature malls.
    If they would take the golf course and build some nice mid-priced housing communities along with intelligent roads and
    good access to the MTR, maybe more light rail. Better yet, forget the roads. Make it a car less community. That would
    keep the property speculators away!