Like Tree56Likes

What book will you read next

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14

Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi:
    Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 1)

Frank Herbert’s classic masterpiece—a triumph of the imagination and one of the bestselling science fiction novels of all time.

SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE directed by Denis Villeneuve, starring Timothée Chalamet, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, Oscar Isaac, Javier Bardem, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, and Charlotte Rampling.
    If you have not read it before then enjoy.
    Tadashi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi:
    Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 1)

Frank Herbert’s classic masterpiece—a triumph of the imagination and one of the bestselling science fiction novels of all time.

SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE directed by Denis Villeneuve, starring Timothée Chalamet, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, Oscar Isaac, Javier Bardem, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, and Charlotte Rampling.
    One of the best books I've ever read.

The previous movie was rubbish and the TV series distinctly average. Hope this version does it justice.
    Tadashi likes this.

The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (who also wrote Red Mars)

Tadashi likes this.

Just finished White Fragility. I wanted to see what all the hype is about, but it's among the worst books I've ever read.

The whole premise of the book is that if you are White, you are racist, if you say you aren't racist, you are extra racist. If you are a "white progressive" who thinks you've overcome your racism, you are actually the most racist and causing the most damage to persons if color. Differences in outcome for different people are because of racism and not individual difference and if you believe in individualism you are racist. The only person who isn't racist is the author DiAngelo and you need her help to overcome your racism. If you don't like DiAngelo's lectures and think she is full of shit you are showing your white fragility.

The book has such gems as claiming that Obama becoming president isn't proof that the system isn't racist, because when he was in power he adapted to the racist system and perpetuated the status quo. Also white women shouldn't cry with persons of color being around, because that will remind them of the times in the past when white women cried and wrongly accused them of rape and assault. If you are black and think you aren't affected by racism that's only because you have succumbed to the racist system. Overall the book takes a lot of agency away from people of color.

The book also says we are all too stupid to understand racism, but we can't ask our black friends about racism to better understand it. That is racist, because we should have sought that information beforehand.

The biggest problem is that she treats her ideas as fact and not as ambiguous concepts, and presents every disagreement as white fragility.

Overall 0 out of 5 stars.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 30-06-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

A while ago, in my "to be read next" was The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood but it was such a huge disappointment ( it's boring and none of the characters appealed to my taste) that I decided to stop reading dystopian novels - well, at least not now ( exception - Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell, A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley).

Now, I don't know what I will read next.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Now, I don't know what I will read next.
    Not dystopian but still a great read:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...he-windup-girl

If you are only interested in dystopian:

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass
    Red Rising Series by Pierce Brown
    Red Queen Series by Victoria Aveyard
    The Extinction Files by A.G. Riddle

Though they are mostly Science Fiction/Fantasy/Dystopian
    hannah01 likes this.

The Only Good Indians

by Stephen Graham Jones

A tale of revenge, cultural identity, and the cost of breaking from tradition in this latest novel from the Jordan Peele of horror literature, Stephen Graham Jones.

Seamlessly blending classic horror and a dramatic narrative with sharp social commentary, The Only Good Indians follows four American Indian men after a disturbing event from their youth puts them in a desperate struggle for their lives. Tracked by an entity bent on revenge, these childhood friends are helpless as the culture and traditions they left behind catch up to them in a violent, vengeful way.

mrgoodkat likes this.

Bad Blood by John Carreyou

Non-fiction, about the life of Elizabeth Holmes and the downfall of Theranos (the multibillion-dollar biotech) startup

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14