Like Tree205Likes

What book will you read next

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

About a bee keeper living in the Donbas region. Author is ethnically Russian, politically Ukrainian. Published in 2018.

https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Bees-Andrey-Kurkov/dp/0857059343

huja likes this.

I'm reading the biography of Jonathan Goldsmith, especially famous for ending up being a meme for Dos Equis beer. It's quite good, randomly landed on the mobi file somewhere on internet...:

https://www.amazon.com/Stay-Interest.../dp/1101986239

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Bit of light reading this afternoon now the kids have gone inside.Attachment 86621
    Easy on the cured meats, @Skyhook!

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Another vote for Kafka on the Shore. In contrasts, I did not like Norwegian Wood at all.
    Just finished up "Norwegian Wood." At the very bottom of my list of Murakami's work. Didn't hate it, but it was just so pedestrian by his lofty standards.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Just finished up "Norwegian Wood." At the very bottom of my list of Murakami's work. Didn't hate it, but it was just so pedestrian by his lofty standards.
    1Q84 is so good
    Also, good interview with him on NPR here:

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/06/98444...ces-in-my-life
    huja and hullexile like this.

Felt like his most 'literal' book, by a distance. Perhaps not his forte...

Easy on the cured meats, @Skyhook!
    Nah, one of the many great aspects about living in a multi cultural city, especially from my anccestrally Continental European point of view. How I missed my local deli and bakery ( when we lived in Hong Kong) that made proper Viennese/Italian hard crust breads especially with poppy seeds. I was still bringing the Vienna loaf out and some big juicy heritage tomatoes that we grew on our property after I took that photo.

Later that afternoon a mate brought over a dozen large cooked mud crabs ( he'd caught) on ice which we all devoured by the pool.

Anyway, life's pretty good :-)
    Last edited by Skyhook; 16-06-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    huja likes this.

Continuing my Murakami binge, I just finished "Sputnik Sweetheart."I had to work harder reading this book than Murakami's other works. The sentences and passages didn't grip me like his other books and the whole of it is ambiguous in a sloppy way rather than a deep sense imo. Going to have to sleep on it and give it further thought tomorrow.

I enjoyed Norwegian Wood! Recently read it again and liked it even more the second time.

An Australian friend has finally after two years got visas for his family to go to Australia. (Coincidentally the visas cleared a week after he met the Ambassador at an event and told him about the delay).

Anyway he arrived with a load of books he is not taking with him. Greatfully received even though some are rereads from decades ago.

Finished:

Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James. Some laugh out loud stories all of which I had forgotten.

The Trials of Rumpole by John Mortimer. Rumpole is always a good read.

Now reading 84 Charing Cross Road which I am not sure I ever read. Given I owned a second hand bookstore that is odd.

Lots of others including a Maggie Thatcher biography which may never get read.

In between reading the 3 volume 1500 page Christian Theology by H. Orton Wiley. Just starting the 3rd volume.

huja and Gollygordon like this.

Continuing my Murakami binge, . . . .
    Name:  Snider-sub-custom1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  291.1 KB
    hullexile likes this.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast