Like Tree53Likes

What book will you read next

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Original Post:
    Do you think there is a place in HK where you could survive and go undetected for a month? A year? Longer?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/b...nd-hermit.html
    Fascinating. But yes, I do think HK is a place that you could do that. Plenty of places where people rarely venture.

Force of Nature by Jane Harper

Is Alice here? Did she make it? Is she safe? In the chaos, in the night, it was impossible to say which of the four had asked after Alice's welfare. Later, when everything got worse, each would insist it had been them.
    Five women reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking along the muddy track. Only four come out the other side.
    The hike through the rugged landscape is meant to take the office colleagues out of their air-conditioned comfort zone and teach resilience and team building. At least that is what the corporate retreat website advertises.
    Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a particularly keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing bushwalker. Alice Russell is the whistleblower in his latest case - and Alice knew secrets. About the company she worked for and the people she worked with.
    Far from the hike encouraging teamwork, the women tell Falk a tale of suspicion, violence and disintegrating trust. And as he delves into the disappearance, it seems some dangers may run far deeper than anyone knew.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I figured it might be a good time to wade into V. S. Naipaul's work. Any suggestions on where to start?

21 Lessons for the 21st Century

by Yuval Noah Harari
    https://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=27090624

In twenty-one accessible chapters that are both provocative and profound, Harari builds on the ideas explored in his previous books, untangling political, technological, social, and existential issues and offering advice on how to prepare for a very different future from the world we now live in: How can we retain freedom of choice when Big Data is watching us? What will the future workforce look like, and how should we ready ourselves for it? How should we deal with the threat of terrorism? Why is liberal democracy in crisis?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I'm very tempted to start reading The Expanse series books, mainly as I can't wait to for season 4 to air....

HK_Katherine likes this.

The Three Body Problem -Liu Cixin has arrived!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-body-problem

Tadashi likes this.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

by Mark Manson

In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people.

never mind... didnt like it

Quote Original Post:
    The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

by Mark Manson

In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people.?

The President Is Missing

Bill Clinton & James Patterson

this review by Susan Kaplan said it well:
    The story is compelling and in our times completely believable, including discovering a traitor inside the White House. However , the President tends to deliver periodic and lengthy polemics about the state of the world, which are thinly veiled attacks on our current administration. I will say this: Im not a fan at all if the current administration and its policies. However, I think the fictional Presidents tirades are unnecessary. They add nothing to the story and in fact detract from it, which is why I give this darn good ride of a story only three stars. You can pretty much tell what part of the story James Patterson wrote and what part Bill Clinton wrote. The distinction is that obvious.

Quote Original Post:
    never mind... didnt like it
    Can I ask why? We sell a lot of copies on ShopInHK - have been contemplating getting it and reading it.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast