Like Tree69Likes

Must-watch movie: "Ten Years"?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    @Cho-man. Saw the trailer, I wonder how you would like the movie if it was done by Geert Wilders playing in on the fear of Dutch people about the mass immigration/islamification of western society. Or done by Donald Trump, playing into the same Islam fears mixed with Mexican immigrants. (I can just see this Caucasian actor say: but officer, is not speaking Spanish an crime?)

What makes the movie so good? Is it the story? The acting?
    I couldn't tell from the trailer, neither would I watch it because to me it just seems like propaganda movie.
    I can understand Hk peoples plight and i really support them and their advocacy. But this film looks more like a propaganda film, playing on the mass publics sentiments rather some story driven or thought provoking materials. It's 2025, so you can imagine what the filmmaker is trying convey, it's predictable..
    eastside_gweilo and JaredHK like this.

it just seems like propaganda movie.
    The hell?? This movie is made just because it goes against the usual gov't propaganda in the first place, and exists to make people to think the direction HK is going towards in 10 years.
    Cho-man, Peter Mak and alph like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    The hell?? This movie is made just because it goes against the usual gov't propaganda in the first place, and exists to make people to think the direction HK is going towards in 10 years.
    Precisely. Its not targeted against an ethnic group but an authoritarian threat in the form of the encroaching CCP. It does not ask the viewer to discriminate against any group or persons but to defend certain core values that HKers find important, like the fundamental freedoms.
    Gatts and spode like this.

I couldn't tell from the trailer, neither would I watch it because to me it just seems like propaganda movie.
    When Hollywood makes a "What if" movie no one gives a shit. But a HK film makes makes a "what if" movie and it becomes propaganda. For who exactly?

Core values, our values! We are canto and our way is live is threatened.

Geert Wilders: Muslims build mosques left and right. Islam does not have the same values as we westerners. So we should all send them back!

like GW, some people (here on geo) are too focused on the US vs THEM mentality

y
    Indeed it is, but what can be done? Accept your fate, or fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Indeed it is, but what can be done? Accept your fate, or fight.
    are you saying non-Muslims in Netherlands should pick up their pitch forks and torches and drive the Muslims back to where they came from?

are you saying non-Muslims in Netherlands should pick up their pitch forks and torches and drive the Muslims back to where they came from?
    No, I clearly quoted the Cantonese portion of your statement. Regrettably, the CCP will likely snuff out Cantonese language and culture - slowly but surely. I don't see any other outcome.

Geert Wilders: Muslims build mosques left and right. Islam does not have the same values as we westerners. So we should all send them back!

like GW, some people (here on geo) are too focused on the US vs THEM mentality
    I still fail to see how this can be compared with those peddling hate against a religious or ethnic group. That is just plain bizzare and nonsensical. HK's way of life is not predicated on hating so-and-so people. Its against political persecution.
    Gatts and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by =XTR=M=:
    I can understand Hk peoples plight and i really support them and their advocacy. But this film looks more like a propaganda film, playing on the mass publics sentiments rather some story driven or thought provoking materials. It's 2025, so you can imagine what the filmmaker is trying convey, it's predictable..
    Its not propaganda. It is extrapolating what can happen in 9 years time. It does not say you must hate a certain people. Its message does have a political element, yes, but it isn't directed at scapegoats. It articulates the real fears of some in HK.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 22-01-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast