Like Tree22Likes

Tuxedo - rental?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tuxedo - rental?

I am obviously going up in the world. Been asked to attend an awards dinner next week where the dress code is "black tie / formal".

Being from an immigrant / working class background, I am not so well versed on the finer side of formal wear attire and hence I don't own anything as fancy as a tuxedo.

I am presuming getting one made by next week will be a bit of a tall order. So what about renting one? From doing the interweb searches I note that mention has been made of Tuxetop in Wanchai in the past.

Also how much is rental going to cost? I'm reckoning I could get a tuxedo made for about HKD4,000 - 6,000 but there is the timing factor.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Can you borrow? What size are you?

or hire Home

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I am obviously going up in the world. Been asked to attend an awards dinner next week where the dress code is "black tie / formal".

Being from an immigrant / working class background, I am not so well versed on the finer side of formal wear attire and hence I don't own anything as fancy as a tuxedo.

I am presuming getting one made by next week will be a bit of a tall order. So what about renting one? From doing the interweb searches I note that mention has been made of Tuxetop in Wanchai in the past.

Also how much is rental going to cost? I'm reckoning I could get a tuxedo made for about HKD4,000 - 6,000 but there is the timing factor.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
    A tuxedo for 4 K will make you look like everything but good.

A proper tuxedo will set you back at the very minimum at 10K so suggestion is indeed to rent.

I have used them in the past: Home

But that was in 2009 so things may have changed.
    shri and pin like this.

Tuxetop still the best and still going strong. Black Tie / Formal, you can still wear a Black Suit if you have one, doesnt really need to wear a TUX. plenty of people do it. But if you want to join the fancy crowd then definitely hire a tux.

pin and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    A tuxedo for 4 K will make you look like everything but good.

A proper tuxedo will set you back at the very minimum at 10K so suggestion is indeed to rent.
    10K for a dinner suit is probably out of the budget for the majority.

M&S at their larger stores sometimes carry affordable Tuxedos. If you feel it is important that people will judge you on the suit you wear spend more.
    DirtyHairy likes this.

Thanks all. Afraid I actually don't have a black suit (have dark grey one). I guess the next suit I will make will be black.

I guess I'll contact Tuxetop and rent one.

The other rental place that keeps on popping up is Mode Tuxedo:

MODE Tuxedo

you will still need to buy the accessories, dress shirt / tie so dont leave it the last minute.

toptuxe did sell dress shirts too, I bought years ago, carp. never again

@pin - this is how the man gets you .. It all starts with making you wear a monkey suit!

Congrats by the way.

Also by the way... as you are British you will be renting a Dinner Jacket. Only those yanks rent Tuxedos.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast