Like Tree41Likes

How often do you eat offal?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Love liver and bacon but can never find lambs liver here.....pig liver good enough though and try and eat it once or twice a month.

Not adverse to tripe either...

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    The problem now is that meat is not seen as anything special by large parts of the world, and that is seen in its price relative to 30 or so years ago.
    There probably should be a luxury tax on meat in developed countries to reduce it's consumption. Farming efficiencies does mean it is cheaper now but like sugar peoples consumption should be nudged downwards.

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Don't try and sway me with a pic of sanitised tongue. That is nothing like the tongue I was served in the 70s. It was encased in aspic, still had the taste buds on, giving the outside this knobbly, grayish appearance, and the taste and texture was vile. Never again.

70s cuisine, unlikely to ever make a comeback I hope.

I eat Chaozhou tripe/intestine/lung soup at least once a week. Had hot and sour soup with blood cubes last night--where does blood fit in?

Tongue is not my thing either. As a kid, I thought it felt too much like my own tongue.

I had lightly grilled liver in Tokyo last month (at a Korean restaurant). I thought it was pretty good, even if it was a little bloody.

It appears serving up human flesh is legal in Japan (and beef liver sashimi isn't):

"While the Ministry has issued a firm rules against human consumption of raw beef liver, there is no such prohibition in Japan against the consumption of human flesh. Although, after an artist charged customers ¥20,000 ($250) for a plate of what he said was his own surgically removed testicles in May, there have been some calling for regulations on cannibalism. According to the AFP, the artist, Mao Sugiyama, 22, "said steps were taken so the act met all relevant laws, including a ban on organ sales, processing of medical waste and even food sanitation requirements." Japan currently has no laws banning the consumption of human meat or regulating how to prepare it. Sugiyama's dish included mushrooms and a parsley garnish.

While Sugiyama's particular dining event cannot be repeated (he's tweeted, "I receive questions ... asking 'Will there be a next time? Please host it again.' But there is only one set of male organ"), authorities have sought to deter other would-be self-carving carnivores. So far, though, Japanese police have been stymied in their attempts to come up with a law Sugiyama may have violated. A detective in the Tokyo Police Department told The Atlantic Wire, “If you cut off a dead person’s penis and served it, well that would be a violation of the penal code about desecrating a corpse, but not if someone still alive has it done on his own initiative. The laws never anticipated things like this—cutting off your own testicles, that’s just nuts.”

Nuts indeed!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 13-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Eddy Mundo likes this.

I understand that sausage/ frankfurter/ etc. skins are still made from cleaned and bleached intestines ...

I'll eat cooked offal if it's served to me, but not raw.

It's not something I prepare for myself - but I'm another one who doesn't count oxtail as offal - it's a soup base like a ham bone or chicken carcase.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Never.
    Never?

On principle?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Never?

On principle?
    Been a vegetarian since I was 12, and even before that I never ate red meat, only some chicken, even then it was only the chicken breast.

Never liked the texture of meat in any form, so giving it up wasn't hard, even at an early age.
    Natfixit and shri like this.

Never liked the texture of meat in any form, so giving it up wasn't hard, even at an early age.
    So you may like some offals as the textures are completely different to meat.

Been a vegetarian since I was 12, and even before that I never ate red meat, only some chicken, even then it was only the chicken breast.

Same same here, except I became vegetarian officially when I was 8 yrs old. I never liked meat from when I was young enough to be fed solids, plus I am allergic to seafood. Texture, taste and digestion. Ugh. Not good. However, I can cook meat for my husband, done catering with meat dishes and roasts, but the hardest was cooking liver for my FIV cat. Made me retch.

I love ox tongue as a starter for my Korean meal, fried pig liver, blood sausages with mustard,
    and this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

I eat it once in a year

jayinhongkong likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast