Like Tree74Likes

Ripped off in Wanchai

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Ripped off in Wanchai

Well I had heard this happens. I went to Wanchai around midnight on Saturday night. I was with a friend but we got separated, and I came to around 7 am somewhere in Wanchai. I have charges on three different credit cards of totaling over $15,000 HKD. About $9000 at one bar, and $6000 at another. These bars aren't Wanchai girlie bars - they are two somewhat reputable bars (for Wanchai anyway).

I think I was probably drugged by some bar girls and they had me purchase all these drinks. I had heard they normally make you go to an ATM and withdraw money to hand to them, but maybe that is too risky now so they have some arrangement with bars to get a kick back of drinks you order there.

I have emailed both these bars and asked for receipts of my transactions. I can't imagine they would not have an idea of what was going on - that I was being scammed.

What should I do now? I feel a bit foolish that I went to Wanchai drunk in the first place, but I was definitely taken advantage of. Should I file a police report? I have a feeling this happens quite a lot but doesn't get reported. Maybe because it happens to married men who shouldn't be in Wanchai in the first place. I'm not married nor have a girlfriend so I won't be too embarrassed to report it if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by peterose:
    Should I file a police report?
    Yes
    HK_Katherine likes this.

15K and no memory if you had a good time AIYA, nothing will happen to the bars as you paid for the drinks to the girls, the girls DO GET KICK back from every drink you buy them and the drinks aren't cheap, they will have CCTV of you paying for the drinks.

file a police report and hopefully they can get the cctv film to find the girls that drugged you and hopefully arrest them. Next time dont take a credit card with you.

Bring $1000 cash and once you run out go home. Leave the wallet at home. How many times do we need to tell people this.

Absolutely report to the police and follow up with the bars. If you make enough fuss they might waive some charges to avoid bad publicity - particularly if they are "more reputable" as you suggest.

Mrs. Jones and DrWho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Absolutely report to the police and follow up with the bars. If you make enough fuss they might waive some charges to avoid bad publicity - particularly if they are "more reputable" as you suggest.
    Yeah I'm trying to think of the best strategy for this. Like I said, I've emailed the bars but haven't received a response yet. If I don't by tomorrow, I think I will go in person and ask to see the receipts and tell them I think I was drugged and am going to go file a police report.

I don't know if it's worth talking to the SCMP about this or not. The 'drug the guy and take him to the ATM' scam has been reported quite a bit but I searched a fair amount and couldn't find anything about getting scammed at a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by peterose:
    Well I had heard this happens. I went to Wanchai around midnight on Saturday night. I was with a friend but we got separated, and I came to around 7 am somewhere in Wanchai. I have charges on three different credit cards of totaling over $15,000 HKD. About $9000 at one bar, and $6000 at another. These bars aren't Wanchai girlie bars - they are two somewhat reputable bars (for Wanchai anyway).

I think I was probably drugged by some bar girls and they had me purchase all these drinks. I had heard they normally make you go to an ATM and withdraw money to hand to them, but maybe that is too risky now so they have some arrangement with bars to get a kick back of drinks you order there.

I have emailed both these bars and asked for receipts of my transactions. I can't imagine they would not have an idea of what was going on - that I was being scammed.

What should I do now? I feel a bit foolish that I went to Wanchai drunk in the first place, but I was definitely taken advantage of. Should I file a police report? I have a feeling this happens quite a lot but doesn't get reported. Maybe because it happens to married men who shouldn't be in Wanchai in the first place. I'm not married nor have a girlfriend so I won't be too embarrassed to report it if I need to.

The girls always get a kickback, look for little pieces of paper being passed to them, but nothing in the scale of HKD 15000 - unless you were in a curtain bar. Given that you can't remember much are you sure you were not lured into a curtain bar?

Personally, given you don't care about the embarrassment - I would go for it. As much noise as possible. If nothing else you help others prevent what happened to you; at best you may get some money back and/or help catch some criminals. Good luck. Sorry it happened to you.

Mrs. Jones, markranson and DrWho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The girls always get a kickback, look for little pieces of paper being passed to them, but nothing in the scale of HKD 15000 - unless you were in a curtain bar. Given that you can't remember much are you sure you were not lured into a curtain bar?
    The two bars my charges show up on weren't curtain bars.
    hullexile and Tom007 like this.

- Where did you wake up?

More than the money...I'd worry about whatever you might have caught. I'd get tested - unless of course you certain you didn't have any sex.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast