Like Tree182Likes

Spiked drink nightmare

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I’ll make it quite clear again. The original poster has my sympathies and said he didn’t go into such a place but quite frankly the reputation of Wan Chai as a red light district should have been a factor in his endeavours. I first came to HK over 20 years ago. The first advice I received was steer clear of Wan Chai so of course the first thing I did was head for Wan Chai at the earliest opportunity.

Red light districts are pretty much the same all over the world. Let’s be honest Wan Chai and LKF are not unique in terms of spiking and scamming, fortunately, nowhere near as bad of some of their counterparts but you need to be going to these places eyes wide open. If you look and act like a tourist you’re a potential target and you can say that pretty much for anywhere I’ve visited.

They don’t even have to be hooker bars (by which I mean regular bars that allow them inside) for either to occur. Search the net and look for stories of the dangers in HK and the dates some of those stories are posted.

Wan Chai is also full of sob stories of drunken businessmen, husbands among them who get very drunk very quickly. Order the girly drinks (usually thrown or watered down for the girls) and shots then wake up in the morning with a massive credit card bill. I’ve regularly had work colleagues doing this and a colleague or even sometimes the bar can only do so much to say are you sure? Less likely the latter in a packed bar. Faced with a 3, 5. 10 or even greater bill you’d think they’d learn lessons and these are just in the ‘normal’ bars. Same with the Navy. They’re warned of the dangers before they hit dry land and some still blow their shore leave within hours or less of hitting Wan Chai.

I’ll happily stand a round in Taboo at post 9pm utter rip off prices. I’ll happily get a girly drink in (less so now as I have a girlfriend) but once the company tips over the edge from a great evening out to shitfaced and dangerous then my old bones are heading home in a taxi.
    I've been to many red light districts the world over and Wanchai is the least red light of them all. Wanchai certainly used to be full of school kids and students during holidays. Your 'eye's wide open' comments are pretty far off the mark.

You sound like the type of punter who knows a chunk of the bar girls by name and thus now feels he is less likely to be a mark (less likely, l.e.s.s. likely, l.e.s.s. l.i.k.e.l.y), and also feels inclined to protect their reputations. But if you can tell me what sort of 'tourist' goes wandering into escape with their tour group badge on toting a camera around their neck I'll agree with you.

Ive been in HK over 20yrs too, never been rufied but I know lots of people - wanchai warriors, HK old hands - just yourself who have.

A bet a good chunk of the 'drunk sob stories' involve some sort of scam - I'm pretty sure others get rufied and never realise, they just have a massive inexplicable C.Card tab and figure they were drunk.

Ruff'ing has become a big problem in HK that the police do fuck all to solve - If you hang around there long enough, it'll happen to you too.

I also know a couple of people who have been rufied in Hong Kong.and they are both far from doe-eyed innocents out for their first night on the tiles. I don't think this was so much of a problem when I was enjoying the night life in my 20's, but in the last few years it does seem to have escalated.

Sage and jaykay like this.

Spiked drink nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I've been to many red light districts the world over and Wanchai is the least red light of them all. Wanchai certainly used to be full of school kids and students during holidays. Your 'eye's wide open' comments are pretty far off the mark.

You sound like the type of punter who knows a chunk of the bar girls by name and thus now feels he is less likely to be a mark (less likely, l.e.s.s. likely, l.e.s.s. l.i.k.e.l.y), and also feels inclined to protect their reputations. But if you can tell me what sort of 'tourist' goes wandering into escape with their tour group badge on toting a camera around their neck I'll agree with you
    My attempt at multi quoting may go badly wrong. I’ll find out soon enough. Ok my attempt failed so some of the below are out of context with the quotes they were meant to respond to

It’s not hard to spot a novice and travelling visitor to Wan Chai honestly. It’s got nothing to do with Camera around the neck (I know that was a joke). Rabbit in spotlight springs to mind.

I might know some of the bar girls by name (I might not)

[QUOTE=Sage;3745490 Ive been in HK over 20yrs too, never been rufied but I know lots of people - wanchai warriors, HK old hands - just yourself who have. [/QUOTE]

I’ve absolutely no doubt there for the grace of God go I but I’ll say a couple of things. Firstly pints are not my thing. I’m a bottled beer man. Secondly long gone are the days where I want to sink an absolute tankful. I can have a great evening out and disappear when I’m feeling on the edge. A typically evening would be 5-6 bottles over a long period and maybe a short maybe not. The other thing is I do tend to treat Wan Chai like Macau and (not always) leave my credit card at home. Maybe not coming to HK permanently in my 20s helped. I won’t name the bars but there are a couple at least where the waitresses try it on in two ways. Either with massive short change or with not returning the change in the hope that the drunk person ordering forgets.

Sod’s law says that one day I will get fleeced!

[QUOTE=Sage;3745490 Ruff'ing has become a big problem in HK that the police do fuck all to solve - If you hang around there long enough, it'll happen to you too.[/QUOTE]

This I think everyone can agree on but with one or two possible exceptions find me a red light district that’s vastly different from a policing perspective. All I’ve ever seen in Wan Chai is the occasional street ID check and the bar raids for overstayers. Frustrating because apart from the scams drugs are sold so openly on the streets and I’m amazed how brazen some of it is. They must have sharp look outs.

My attempt at multi quoting may go badly wrong. I’ll find out soon enough. Ok my attempt failed so some of the below are out of context with the quotes they were meant to respond to

It’s not hard to spot a novice and travelling visitor to Wan Chai honestly. It’s got nothing to do with Camera around the neck (I know that was a joke). Rabbit in spotlight springs to mind.

I might know some of the bar girls by name (I might not)

I’ve absolutely no doubt there for the grace of God go I but I’ll say a couple of things. Firstly pints are not my thing. I’m a bottled beer man. Secondly long gone are the days where I want to sink an absolute tankful. I can have a great evening out and disappear when I’m feeling on the edge. A typically evening would be 5-6 bottles over a long period and maybe a short maybe not. The other thing is I do tend to treat Wan Chai like Macau and (not always) leave my credit card at home. Maybe not coming to HK permanently in my 20s helped. I won’t name the bars but there are a couple at least where the waitresses try it on in two ways. Either with massive short change or with not returning the change in the hope that the drunk person ordering forgets.

Sod’s law says that one day I will get fleeced!

This I think everyone can agree on but with one or two possible exceptions find me a red light district that’s vastly different from a policing perspective. All I’ve ever seen in Wan Chai is the occasional street ID check and the bar raids for overstayers. Frustrating because apart from the scams drugs are sold so openly on the streets and I’m amazed how brazen some of it is. They must have sharp look outs.
    It's not hard to spot s.o.m.e travelling novices, agreed, rabbit in the headlights is a tell tale sign - But it's bit like spotting gay guys in a straight bar, you get the odd one who's flamboyant and effeminate, but many blend right in and nobody's any the wiser. And that is the central crux of our debate, you've taken a position that people bring it on themselves by not being street smart and whist there is an element of that for sure (on average across all cases) many times it's simply not the case at all.

Wanchai is not a red-light district of the 70's, it's a London's soho of the 2000's or Sydney's 'The cross' of the 2015's+ it's a city centre night life area - and the problem here is not 'lack of smarts', it's corrupt, and/or incompetent policing.

I've been acquaintanted with more than one old-hand dealer in HK and at least 2 paid protection money to the cops (probably via triads) so if they were ever lifted they had a chance to dodge a bullet.

And this idea that somehow if you don't drink pints you're safe is also off the mark -agreed it's easier to spike pints, but there have been plenty cases in the past of even bar staff spiking bottles and I'm pretty sure once someone's had 5-6 bottles, even I could spike their drink and get away with it half the time.

But again, drink's are not the only route .....#71 refers.

@ByeByeEngland The fact you are equating being drunk or only drinking bottles with not being rufied is an absolute cast-iron indication you simply don't understand the problem.

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes I go back a bit further, from 2005 on. I used to get approached on the street.
    To be fair, you probably fit their profile target, hence the approachment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    @ByeByeEngland The fact you are equating being drunk or only drinking bottles with not being rufied is an absolute cast-iron indication you simply don't understand the problem.
    Why don’t you just do one? You spend your entire life on three boards trying to prove a point.

I’m minimising the risk and just stating that I don’t drinks pints (can’t do beer in volume). I don’t pretend that this is a magic shield and I think I made it clear in my post that there for the grace of god go I.

You can FUCK OFF And now I finally need to work out how to put someone on ignore. You’re nothing but an irritating shit!

Tell us how you really feel!

Why don’t you just do one? You spend your entire life on three boards trying to prove a point.

I’m minimising the risk and just stating that I don’t drinks pints (can’t do beer in volume). I don’t pretend that this is a magic shield and I think I made it clear in my post that there for the grace of god go I.

You can FUCK OFF And now I finally need to work out how to put someone on ignore. You’re nothing but an irritating shit!
    Hugs and kisses!

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    The checking of CC cards and signatures by staff of any establishment or even the banks is a joke here in HK. Any squiggle is enough for payment. I've used my wife cards here by mistake a few times. No one bats an eyelid even though the card shows both a female name and clearly a Chinese name and a totally different signature. Bank still pays! It's so simple to use a stolen card here. No pretence required.
    What I don’t understand about HK credit cards is why they don’t have a PIN for transactions. Elsewhere in the world when using an HK card people are incredulous that you need to sign the CC slip. In Philippines I’m often told to look after the card carefully as it is a very good card for someone to steal.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13