Like Tree67Likes

2019 - Movies to Watch

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2019 - Movies to Watch

Bird Box with Sandra Bullock is an OK suspense horror. A bit soft but Netflix again pushing into the movie business

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Bird Box with Sandra Bullock is an OK suspense horror. A bit soft but Netflix again pushing into the movie business...
    I watched 'explained' seeking a possible explanation for the premise of the film. Instead of a plot explanation we have a long, excruciating self-evident forensic analysis of the emotional angst of the central character.

Unfortunately we are left with a 'horror' film based on a totally unexplained premise - other then one deluded soul's absurd theory of a possible ancient demon/vision-monster thingy.

Not a bad film if you can suffer an absence of substance and a horror plot in which the horror is not credible.
    Last edited by TigerSun; 30-12-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    I watched 'explained' seeking a possible explanation for the premise of the film. Instead of a plot explanation we have a long, excruciating self-evident forensic analysis of the emotional angst of the central character.

Unfortunately we are left with a 'horror' film based on a totally unexplained premise - other then one deluded soul's absurd theory of a possible ancient demon/vision-monster thingy.

Not a bad film if you can suffer an absence of substance and a horror plot in which the horror is not credible.
    I think not knowing why it is happening is part of the terror. Worth a watch on the sofa...

Isn't Bird Box about Anxiety and Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Isn't Bird Box about Anxiety and Depression.
    No, the bigger story is the decimation of mankind by murder/suicide caused by a mysterious force with only blind people exempt.

No, the bigger story is the decimation of mankind by murder/suicide caused by a mysterious force with only blind people exempt.
    So somebody at Netflix watched 'A Quiet Place' and decided to copy it?

What about the mentally ill people who were exempt?
    https://www.altpress.com/news/bird-b...health-stigma/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    What about the mentally ill people who were exempt?
    The proposition that the film is a metaphor that "may contain a deeper message on stigma surrounding mental health" is a reductio ad absurdum of a shallow and often copied horror genre.

I can't see why anyone would subscribe to this absurd explanation other than: they have not read the book, did not see the movie and its multiple graphic suicides or they worked for Netflix marketing and were trying to substantiate the obvious demonization of the insane in this rather standard hollywood-type horror flick that left me regretting the time I wasted watching it.

In the meantime, Aquaman was a complete and utter waste of time and money. Cheesy CGI and bad lines. If that's your thing, watch Sharknado.

robertlempriere likes this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast