Like Tree222Likes

Longform Journalism Recs

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

I have no illusions about Amazon's business practices nor would I trying to justify them. That said, I have problems with the author's article.

First, when the only requirement to being hired for a job is that your pee tests clean it should be a dead give away that it's menial work and you are easily replaceable.

Second, the author didn't work for Amazon. He worked for an agency that supplied Amazon with contract/seasonal workers.

Third, if employment at Amazon was the only option to pay rent and buy food it's an indication of issues that go beyond Amazon simply being a shitty employer.

Fourth, from one English major to another, you signed up this. No where in the world are English majors welcomed into the work world with huge salaries and corner offices.

Article about Fan Bingbing, the Chinese movie industry and the state of China in general. Interesting read.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...est-movie-star

Was she really the world's "biggest movie star"?!? Just like Chinese is the most spoken language in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Was she really the world's "biggest movie star"?!? Just like Chinese is the most spoken language in the world?
    . . . that's your takeaway from reading the article?
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    . . . that's your takeaway from reading the article?
    Honestly did not read it when I posted that - china + movie + falling from political grace is not something that motivates me. That and the headline made me think - nothing new that we don't know.

Skimmed through it and saw this is how it ended..

Fan laughed at her luck. Perhaps there was an upside to becoming the world’s most celebrated missing person. “I worked so hard,” she told her friend, “and this is how I become famous.”
    Not sure if she is the world's most celebrated person. I know, I'm nitpicking... but am a bit weary / tired and cynical about these statments.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Honestly did not read it when I posted that - china + movie + falling from political grace is not something that motivates me. That and the headline made me think - nothing new that we don't know.

Skimmed through it and saw this is how it ended..

Not sure if she is the world's most celebrated person. I know, I'm nitpicking... but am a bit weary / tired and cynical about these statments.
    Okay, I'm going to let you peek at my homework/book report. Fan Bingbing getting busted is not so much about Fan Bingbing getting busted. It's more that the Xi/CCP has reached some sort of tipping point that's hard put your finger on. It's the fear and chaos that an entire industry - movie (and perhaps country) feels when someone as big as her gets slapped down. The formally understood grey-area where rich/powerful/famous Chinese could be more equal (to borrow George Orwell's phrase from Animal Farm) than other Chinese has been redrawn or maybe even done away with.
    shri, TheBrit and hullexile like this.

This article is about an enclave of boathouses fashioned from abandoned vessels docked off of some of the most exclusive and expensive communities in the San Francisco/Bay Area. Is there an equivalent in Hong Kong?

https://harpers.org/archive/2019/05/...ichardson-bay/

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast