• 4 Post By chuckster007
  • 6 Post By irisboards
  • 2 Post By ByeByeEngland
  • 1 Post By angeluscomplex
  • 1 Post By bbchris

The Wanch shutting down

Closed Thread

The Wanch shutting down

Although I stopped going out years ago, I am sure some of you still frequented this place.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/enter...s-wan-chai-its

irisboards and spode like this.

A sad loss as not the generic highly skilled bar bands pumping out the hits in the other places in Wanchai.

I suspect they won't find another place to rent.

spode likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    A sad loss as not the generic highly skilled bar bands pumping out the hits in the other places in Wanchai.

It was a nice place to go for a change from the rest. Shame, but not surprised
    spode and irisboards like this.

Was never interested in THE WANCH but a lot of my mates loved it, play music there, it will be a great loss even though it was a very very small bar, on good nights it used to have a big crowd outside as well.

Wan Chai is getting more and more boring.

spode, Skyhook, irisboards and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Ned Kelly's Last Stand in TST. has a band area.
    bbchris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Was never interested in THE WANCH but a lot of my mates loved it, play music there, it will be a great loss even though it was a very very small bar, on good nights it used to have a big crowd outside as well.

Exactly - it offered something different to the bar landscape in Wan Chai, hell, the city. And culturally too: you could go along and hear everything from celtic folk to hard rock to heavy metal, which was always fun on a night. It was also a great platform for up and coming bands to cut their teeth at open mic nights, and helped full-time musicians earn an income on weekend nights. Truly a loss for the HK music scene. But I'm sure the 7-Eleven or Generic Soulless Expat Bar that replaces it will be great..

This is really sad news. Hong Kong has always lacked live music venues. I wonder how many bars in wan chai/LKF will reopen once the covid restrictions are eased?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Although I stopped going out years ago, I am sure some of you still frequented this place.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/enter...s-wan-chai-its
    How unprofessional of the SCMP to have spelt Bridgettes surname incorrectly, its not TOON but Toomey, I am pretty sure.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-09-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:

Right with you on this one. Definitely not on my favoured list but never upset to wander in if a mate suggested it. It offered something none of the other bars did.
    chuckster007 and irisboards like this.

It's a huge loss for the live music lovers in Hong Kong. Although small, it had character and was one of the rare Wanchai places that was friendly to female customers! It had different bands every night - something I know that is not easy to organise.
    The staff were incredible and friendly with great memories and were so efficient!
    Every new band I ever played in, would play their first show at The Wanch. Will miss it a lot.
    FYI, SCMP did get it wrong - Ned Kelly's Last Stand is HK's oldest live music venue.
    Although it was fun to have them dredge up my band photo from the 90s in their article

irisboards likes this.