Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cookie09
  • 2 Post By sftohk77
  • 2 Post By sftohk77

Uptown 90 to close

Uptown 90 to close

Has been a stalwart in Wanchai for many years but is now boarded up.

Although it was a dump and needed lick of paint 25 years ago
    Last edited by East_coast; 16-02-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Is that opposite Delaney's? (I assume that is still going?)

the wanch going in there apparently

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

and Uptown has always been a Triad money laundering place, not a real business
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Is that opposite Delaney's? (I assume that is still going?)

Delaney's has shut down already since few years.... its "Taboo" now....

Delaney's is now on Lockhart street in the basement of the Wharney Hotel. They took over the space formerly occupied by The Canny Man. a very good spot for lunch or happy hour. and they are Category D, so you can have a group of 4 at the same table.

hullexile and SarraOHara like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    and Uptown has always been a Triad money laundering place, not a real business
    Why would you think that a bar in the middle of the late night entertainment district that In the peak business hours was never ever very busy and always very grimy but and never ever had any people soliciting for sex work was a cover for triad laundering operations?

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    Delaney's has shut down already since few years.... its "Taboo" now....
    Shit. I thought Taboo was upstairs on the other corner, diagonal from what was Delaney's. I am so out of date

any business with plausibly large cash receipts would do... even a laundromat

shri and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sftohk77:
    Delaney's is now on Lockhart street in the basement of the Wharney Hotel. They took over the space formerly occupied by The Canny Man. a very good spot for lunch or happy hour. and they are Category D, so you can have a group of 4 at the same table.
    Except that their food menu is not that good. I prefer the wide choice at Trafalgar. I’m amazed that has managed to stay open so far. As for Uptown I only went in there a couple of times, playing dice, losing badly and getting thoroughly rat arsed.

Post Covid anyone coming back to Wan Chai will barely recognise it. QV is still heaving, Churchill’s is now thoroughly shit, but doing a good trade with locals. Misty’s is busy. Taboo is busy. Each of these rigorously check LHS, which is nobody thing. Can’t speak for Amazonia as it was never for me but that and the bars at the other end of the Lockhart still seem to be going well. Same with Joe Bananas, I could never understand the attraction even when it was THE place. Bar 101 lives on ha ha. I’m overdue a visit but not while Omi is rife and LHS is needed.

on top of the list of closures add Agave, Coyote and for HullExile.Arome, decent Filipino food and Red Horse, closed down at Christmas. There’s also a shit bar where Club Venus was.

Also Carnegies appears to have had a rebound, I heard around a year back it was close to closing
    Last edited by ByeByeEngland; 16-02-2022 at 06:16 PM.