Like Tree15Likes

Temple Street Night Market

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Times change. Was great for bootleg DVDs. Well, VCDs actually.

There's no reason for anyone who lives here now to go there.

newhkpr and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    Times change. Was great for bootleg DVDs. Well, VCDs actually.

There's no reason for anyone who lives here now to go there.
    I realised I never once went there. Never ventured further than regular visits to the markets in North Point, Wan Chai and Central. Seems I didn't miss anything.
    hongkongmusic likes this.

Hong Kong now is just a one trick pony. $1 million dollar worth of fire works each month, tourist will come....what about Disney every night, still? People with the right skills don't want to work for the Hong Kong government and that's the results we get like plastic garbage bag mandate, now postpone to August.

Are the singers still there doing paid for requests?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhen:
    I hear you! While Temple Street Night Market has its charm, some find it overhyped. Ladies Market is similar, but exploring local markets can unveil unique finds. Different strokes for different folks!
    Temple Street isn't a local market though. Locals would never visit to buy shitty "I love Hong Kong" t-shirts
    East_coast likes this.

i remember when I first came to HK (90s), Temple Street had a few stalls that sold what looked like 2nd hand dildos haha.The place is awful, as is Fa Yuen Street. Just lots of cheap tacky shite aimed at the tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhen:
    I hear you! While Temple Street Night Market has its charm, some find it overhyped. Ladies Market is similar, but exploring local markets can unveil unique finds. Different strokes for different folks!
    I think it's a matter of, that a % of expats were very much eyes wide shut and not very immersive with their cultural interaction with the locals. My first boss was HK Chinese and I worked a street away from Melbourne's China town, making friends with folks who were involved in the Australian Chinese Chamber Of Commerce, so, thanks to my familiarity with my Australian born Hongkies, was pretty comfy in Hong Kong when I first moved there and after a number of HK relationships, met my wife and immersed myself in her family ergo: the culture. What's known as an Egg, white on the outside, yellow on the inside.

The ladies market and Temple Street night market plus Mong Kok in general were my playground not just because my wife's family once owned a Cha Cha an Teng there when my late father in law was alive.
    I never really saw myself as a typical expat and often wondered why a lot of Expats no matter how long they lived in the city were quite ignorant ( eyes wide shut ) about the city compared to what I got out of it.

Kowloon side was always imho the real Hong Kong, if you were willing to explore, street smart enough to be able to immerse yourself in it. I loved that aspect and had the best wedding reception and many parties with my Chinese brothers and sisters.

Cultural travel is an education that makes one's life worth exploring over and above any material aspect.
    dave_van_damn and walkup like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2