Where's the Countdown with Fireworks?

Where's the Countdown with Fireworks?

It'll be my first NY here in HK and I would very much like to feel the countdown atmosphere, complete with fireworks.

Could you kindly share suggestions?

I am not aware of any fireworks during new year in Hong Kong. They do it during Chinese new year at the harbor.

There are a lot of countdowns happening all over the place.

New Year's

Hi there

They will be having a New Year's countdown on 31 December. Think I read somewhere it wasn't going to be as big as last year's though.

There will be fireworks on Victoria Harbour, with best places to watch them - waterfront either TST or round Wanchai & Central & CWB (probably). Know for sure that they will be shutting the roads in TST on that night, and if it's anything to go by from last year, it was great fun. Not sure what happens on the Island, but no doubt there will be something fun to do.

If I've done this right, check out the link below.

2008 Hong Kong WinterFest

Cheers

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

A splattering of fireworks - 5 minutes - and lights at IFC and along the harbour. Best seen from TST. Countdowns at LKF, Times Square, etc. LKF is heavily policed and controlled because of the crush in which a number of people died some years ago. Noon day gun at Causeway Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Allicat:
    There will be fireworks on Victoria Harbour
    No there won't. The link you posted is quite clear - there will be a few large sparklers set off on 2IFC and the roofs of 9 other buildings on HK Island. I'm sure it will be pretty, but it isn't to be compared with the real fireworks which are launched from barges in the harbour on the second day of the lunar new year and on National Day.

I personally feel that spending New Year's Eve trapped in a huge crowd of sharp-elbowed grandmothers and crying, sticky-faced children is the circle of hell that Dante meant to write about one Friday evening before his mates barged in with wine and victuals.

Better to go to a bar/restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    I personally feel that spending New Year's Eve trapped in a huge crowd of sharp-elbowed grandmothers and crying, sticky-faced children is the circle of hell that Dante meant to write about one Friday evening before his mates barged in with wine and victuals.

Better to go to a bar/restaurant.
    Or hire a junk. Quite reasonable if you fill it with 35 people

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Or hire a junk. Quite reasonable if you fill it with 35 people
    Not worth it for 5 mins of Ooohhhh / Ahhhhhh, even the fireworks wont be that good as they are shot from buildings.

Best to just stay in bars and try and snog as many random girls as possible without getting slapped. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Not worth it for 5 mins of Ooohhhh / Ahhhhhh, even the fireworks wont be that good as they are shot from buildings.

Best to just stay in bars and try and snog as many random girls as possible without getting slapped. LOL
    You get three hours of drinking and eating with your own private waiters too though