Hip Hop Scene

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hip Hop Scene

G'day y'all...

Wondering if there is any local "hip-hop" scene/culture in HK..
    I am from SYD where the local scene there is thriving and growing very fast. I am not just talking about clubbing and listening 2all the chart music either. Miss talking with the local heads back home and would like to try catching some gigs, maybe even find out some places where i might find some like-minded people. I'm actually an amateur DJ myself and am dying to play some vinyl ASAP, maybe even join/listen 2a local cypher if there are any about..
    Whatever ur preference in the music is, i really dont mind, as long as ur not going to get all "soulja boy" on me.. My taste varies from mainstream stuff such as Luda, T.I, Lupe, The Roots.. but prefer listening to the hard to get stuff such as most OZ hip-hop (lol)- Hilltop Hoods, Pegz, Spit Sydicate, Tom Thum and DJ Sampology..also into the "underground scene"- Murs, J Dilla, Black Milk, Dilated P's, Q-Unique even artists such as Jedi Mind Tricks...
    Very interested in meeting any local artists as well, especially if you can help pointing me towards a local gig that might be on soon.
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers and a merry Xmas to y'all

The scene here pretty much sucks. You have good taste in music, but the vast majority of people here have never heard of Black Milk or JMT. TI would be considered underground here. lol

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 24-12-2008 at 08:10 AM.

For Real..??...
    Noooooooooooooooo

What about KRS, Talib and Mos Def...??

Is there any chance of there being a "local gig" over the holiday period??

I have a mate who's a major Mos Def fan, but you're never going to hear his stuff outside someone's home. Local gig over the holidays...I doubt it. I get e-mails about that kind of thing and I haven't heard anything about one recently. BTW, the local shows are in Cantonese!

I wouldn't care if the local shows were in sign language, seriously...
    I'm starting to have withdrawals.....

Just want to see what HK has to offer in the way of a vibe and the locals take on the culture... I was reading a few posts from last year and the previous year, but i dont think- and am really hoping, it wasnt a real reflection of what happens here.. It was just a lot of sniping and complaining about certain people's tastes...
    Surely there is more depth than that here??

If not as much as a local show, any chance of just being able to catch some good DJ's, even if its not just str8 hip-hop and more of a break-beat vibe...

Also wondering how many acts come to HK from overseas and the response they get from locals.. Are they always sold-out shows or empty rooms..??
    Have you had any OZ hip-hop come to HK before??

For what its worth Jin is based in HK nowadays

But no real Hip Hop gigs etc as its not to locals taste to be honest.

So where does Jin live then....??
    lol

How can people not like or be accepting of hip-hop...?? That really doesn't make sense to me, not at all.
    It embraces all forms of music and genre's of music. It is the most diverse form of music that spans every culture and nationality across the globe. From its roots in soul and jazz music- through to the ecletic mixes of sounds heard in today's beats and music.
    If people think that "gangster rap" or doing the "soulja boy" is hip-hop, the horizons and scope of those that are critical of this artform, need to be expanded. Not all artists and musicians within the art are about the same message or are about trying to spread the same agenda. There are many niche markets within hip-hop and its a matter of finding an artist that represents the values that you hold true or believe in.

Lloyd Banks (G Unit...lol) was out here a few years ago and the venue had space for several thousand people. Maybe 150 people showed up, and a lot of us didn't even pay to get in (I wouldn't pay to see Banks perform).

I have, however, met DJ Premier and heard Jazzy Jeff spin. Primo played a lot of old soul for the grown n' sexy crowd. He's out here at least once a year. Jazzy Jeff pretty much did the same. Both of them are GREAT party DJs and legends in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEWIN:
    So where does Jin live then....??
    lol

How can people not like or be accepting of hip-hop...?? That really doesn't make sense to me, not at all.
    It embraces all forms of music and genre's of music. It is the most diverse form of music that spans every culture and nationality across the globe. From its roots in soul and jazz music- through to the ecletic mixes of sounds heard in today's beats and music.
    If people think that "gangster rap" or doing the "soulja boy" is hip-hop, the horizons and scope of those that are critical of this artform, need to be expanded. Not all artists and musicians within the art are about the same message or are about trying to spread the same agenda. There are many niche markets within hip-hop and its a matter of finding an artist that represents the values that you hold true or believe in.
    People here (and most people worldwide) don't have exposure to the entire continuum of music that the term 'hip-hop' encompasses. They only get to hear what's on the radio.

If you're into turntablism, there's always this event:

http://www.hkclubbing.com/forum/thread16270.html

This is a valid point and i guess, having been involved in the scene for a while now, it's forgotten.. I rarely listen to the radio and only do so if its a hip-hop segment that's on certain channels in OZ, such as FBI94.5FM and JJJ 105.7FM..

What about yourselves..
    What have you been listening to..??
    As far as listening to music goes, if the hip-hop scene is as limited as you describe, how do you keep yourselves entertained..??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast