crispy shredded beef

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

whoa, thanks for the link! According to the review I have to say good riddance.

Sorry for possibly bumping an old topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can't really get crispy fried beef ( 幹牛絲 ) in hk as it's 'westernised chinese food' popular in takeways in uk, the description above is for a different food product dry beef jerky (牛肉乾)

i tell you later how to make it, it's pretty easy
    Yes please, please can you give a recipe or some instructions on how crispy beef is made!!

Instructions in Chinese or English is okay!! Thanks in advance!

i tell when i have time, maybe the weekend

Cool cool, thanks

fake Chinese food in Hong Kong?

Chili Fagara has a place in Soho. They make really hot, but fake Sichuanese food for foreigners. Clearly, these guys have never been to Sichuan.

However, if the dry stir-fry dishes are what you are looking for, that is a real Chinese cooking style that is hard to find in Hong Kong, where everything ends up "wet" to cater to Cantonese tastes. Try Da Ping Huo (a private kitchen in Central run by a Sichuanese couple) for real Sichuanese, maybe slightly toned down.

Or, for a good cheap dry stir-fry, go to Wang-Fu on Wellington (near the escalator - not the dumpling house, but their little restaurant across the street from the Vietnamese place). They specialize in real Beijing style cooking, but the chef makes a couple of great dry stir-fry dishes like "la zi ji" chicken or the saucier kungpao chicken, and some dry beef stir-fry whose name I can't remember. No MSG, and the prices are great.

If you are truly looking for fake Chinese food for westerners, there are quite a few restaurants who specialize in that. But why not educate yourself on the real thing, while you're here? Believe me, it's much better.

The American Peking restaurant in Wan Chai does western chinese food. They had strips of crispy beef when I was there with a meetup a few weeks back - I thought it was horrible but the other westerners gobbled it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2