Star Trek - Early Reviews

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

BRILLIANT!

Went yesterday night. Loved it.

Decent fun, but I didn't love it. The plot was a sieve. The writing was of fanfic quality. The acting was (mostly) good (Pine certainly does a more believable Kirk than Shatner). I hated the action scenes; too much speed and blur, as opposed to allowing us to actually understand what's going on.

It was pew-pew-whoa-oomph sci-fi, which is a bastard subgenre of action, rather than brainy sci-fi which is a genre on its own merit. Or as a friend puts it, reaction sci-fi rather than thinking sci-fi. Reaction sci-fi has its place, but Star Trek has always been thinking sci-fi (while Star Wars is reaction), and that makes this movie feel just... wrong.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

time travel

After the movie the talk turned to first memories of Star Trek; mine were from mid 1968 sitting neck deep in a naturally heated pool in a Rotorua motel. I was the only one there which was odd as it was early evening, crisp and chilly,perfect for a dip.
    Yet not a soul.
    A couple of minutes went by, and a friendly face appeared on the landing.
    "What are you doing in the water ? Kirk's on!"
    Well thats how I was introduced to the crew, dripping and freezing, and I have tried not to be late for an episode since.
    Which is why I managed to see the movie on the first day it came out.
    Very well done
    except
    Spock canoodling with Uhura
    The Romulan ship both the barbed exterior and the interior, what possible use could either serve.
    Scotty coming in far too late in the tale.
    What the hell was Winona Ryder doing?

and finally a word from Mr Cranky

the Star Trek movie strategy has shifted from shooting flicks using the oldest actors available to using the youngest actors available. Look for the inevitable sequel to feature the Enterprise crewed entirely by fetuses.

fm7

Pretty mixed. The actors were good. The plot was thin but kinda worked. Visually it was dull. Music was dull. Balance was more on action than problems, which kinda worked but not really "Trekish." In the end nothing special.

But, if they can keep this cast together for another, better written film, it could rock.

Anyway, this vid sums it up...

[ame=http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892]My Favorite Movie (Star Trek vs. Star Wars) - CollegeHumor Video[/ame]

The movie was great. I watched it twice

I suggest to watch it in the Elements cinema - great sound.

Just saw it and loved it.
    As a girl who has had to sit through many episodes of Star Trek for boyfriends this is most girl friendly one. And for once I saw a movie with a bunch of stuff blowing up that didn't hurt my eyes.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooved it. But then I haven't really watched any real Star Trek, so that's not saying much.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it. Oh sorry did I say that already?

Deja vu

The very first episode of Star Trek had a Captain Christopher Pike heading the USS Enterprise.
    The latest Star Trek has actor Christopher Pine playing the role of a captain of the USS Enterprise.

[spooky music]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWWfsFr24I"]YouTube - Star Trek: 'The unseen pilot' - intro by Gene Roddenberry[/ame]

Pike is in the movie too. To further confuse the credits, they decided Kirk's mum is called Winona Kirk, and then they cast Winona Ryder to play Spock's mum.

[more spooky music]

didn't believe all this pike/kirk malarky, till I went through this
    Star Trek (2009) - Full cast and crew

egad they have even cast a burly cadet [remember him?]

Still have to repeat an earlier query
    What is Winona Ryder doing?

---
    From "Star Trek: Journey to Babel (#2.10)" (1967)
    Amanda: Logic! Logic! I'm sick to death of logic! Do you want to know what I think about your logic?
    Spock: Emotional, isn't she?
    Sarek: She has always been that way.
    Spock: Indeed, why did you marry her?
    Sarek: At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do.