Australia Network - Free

Closed Thread

Australia Network - Free

I knew that Now TV wanted to charge for this, but I didn't realise they had reversed their decision: Australia Network to remain free on NOW TV (courtesy of the Australian Consulate-General)

Further to the email of 27 April 2009 from Australia Network to the members of the Australian Chamber of Commerce, Australia Network would like to clarify that the Australia Network and NOW TV have a well founded relationship that goes back to 2003 and the launch of Hong Kong's most successful IPTV platform. In recent discussions, Australia Network acknowledged that NOW TV is operating in a highly competitive market and incurs significant operational costs in maintaining and operating its IPTV network and in its distribution of Australia Network.
    MEDIA: Media Release 20090506 - Australian Consulate-General

Isnt this one of the freebie channels that shows up on Satellite TV feeds in apartments? Is that affected too? Or just NOW?

It does show up on some satellite feeds, albeit with different programming from the HK feed that is on NOW (and CableTV).

No idea about the satellite tv, but would think it would remain free also. Am happy to be able to watch the AFL games each week for free

That is good news indeed. Thanks for posting the update. Now I can can "comfortably" watch 3 year old Home and Away without worrying that I had paid to do so!

Perhaps Australia Network threatened to start charging NOW?

I'm wondering if the decision to charge was a "bonus brainstorm", one of those smart ideas from some little corporate bonus-seeking t*sser that has a limited but perceptible impact on the world as we know it, slightly darkening a tiny part of our lives that was previously unremarkable and unnoticed, but which now serves to broaden an ever-growing patchwork of grey, self-interested annoyances spreading across our civilisation as a whole. Other examples would include KMB's Roadshow, the commercial exploitation of public spaces by evil property developers and the guy who first decided that we couldn't sit on the grass at the park.

Thank you to all of these heroes for bringing another small patch of unhuman, ungenerous humbuggery into our world.