Live Music and Concerts in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

thx dipper!

hey dipper, thx for the tips. i've only just returned to hk (from dullsville) and going thru all these posts and others at various forums on hk music, i was getting rather discouraged - i mean, being disappointed that kylie cancelled is fine, music is to be enjoyed, ALL kinds of music, but until yr post, i was beginning to wonder if out-there innovation was somehow being driven to the sidelines ???

i see it is alive - but can u give me an idea of HOW kicking? and where i can catch these acts you mentioned?

btw, there is a great one coming up on 21 sep by 'the box' - link is here for anyone interested...

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/ce/CulturalSe...bluebeard.html

oops

sorry, i meant other than the links u already posted...

Sadly this is a town where bars clear very rapidly if someone strays very far from tried & tested. I was in one which claims to be a "jazz & blues bar" the other day when the excellent Guy Leclaire launched into a sort of Hendrix-inspired medley and and I have never seen a place empty so quickly.

Last edited by PDLM; 08-09-2007 at 01:38 PM.

PDLM - which bar was that??? Guy's a great guitarist!

There's The Underground event that runs from time to time, shame the Edge closed - they were very supportive of the local live music scene...

Dawnjoy, it's not all misfit indie groups yelling your head off - love that description though - check out the hundreds of bands in HK by visiting http://hongkongbands.com Sure some are just like your description but many more arent.

It just takes EFFORT in HK to see live bands - the popular venues wont risk it (see what PDLM posted) and so you have to travel further to see them...

heya bbchris, i am sure u r right... i am 'new' here and it's been discouraging checking out the gigs and venues - tho the Fringe does have a few good things going on there...

my tastes are varied but i am looking for a more 'educated' (i don't mean paper qualitfiaction) or 'thoughtful' approach to experimentalism - it is frustrating, plus my friends are tired of being dragged around and having their ears confused... besides they tend to worry about what Johnny or Mary are doing to the cat back home alone with the helper or worse yet, with hubby...

so...anyone here interested in joining me on a few of my forays out there?

i also really dig the concert circuit but don't get me started... i mean, i do like the Mozart stuff but i wish there were more explosive, vibrant HK musicians around to fill the venues... i see that dance and theatre is a lot more edgy here than the music scene... sigh...

bbchris,

That was the FCC - Guy told me he's just moved back to HK again. He's booked to play one night a week at the FCC; not sure where else he'll be playing. If I'm there on Thursday when he's next on I'll ask him.

The FCC? That explains some of the closemindedness! I didn't even know he had left HK for awhile... Yes do ask him where else he is planning to play!

Dawnjoy! Thanks for your positive reply to me. I think you are right that live music is not so edgy here but I really do believe its getting better! I'll look out for some gigs and see if you fancy going along.

thx bbchris, yes do let me knw if u strike gold (or even silver)...

btw, this isn't a gig but if u fancy an avant garde / experimental music theatre experience, this is IT!!! the musicians & artists are top notch - and it's sad that HK doesn't give people like them more notice on both sides of the artistic spectrum - do check it out if u have time!

BLUEBEARD by 'the box' @ Kwai Tsing Theatre Auditorium 21, 22 Sep 8pm

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/ce/CulturalSe...bluebeard.html

dawnjoy

If you're intersted in experimental multimedia/performance stuff then also check out Makin Fung's work if you get a chance.

Nelson Hui is a free improviser, he plays piano and guitar but mostly found objects. He's experimental but unpretentious and humourous. Pete Scherr is also a free improviser (although I think he might also play more mainstream stuff sometimes), plays bass. They don't play that often, but look out for their gigs if you can.

oh how annoying, that's one of the two nights I'm working this month!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast