Live Music and Concerts in Hong Kong

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

dipper: thanks a bunch - the info has been very helpful... i shall get going and do my homework. looking forward to the results.

bbchris: sorry to hear u'll be working that weekend... the guys in 'the box' are a bunch of extremely talented avant garde / experimental musicians/artists who work with other artists from different fields and their productions (though few and far between) are really top-notch in my opinion: appealing to the layman as well as the 'serious' critique looking for innovation which won't insult their intelligence - which is quite a feat given the chasm between the two.

free tickets: for anyone interested in attending BLUEBEARD, i have 2 free tkts to give for the 21st Sep preformance - on first comes first served basis of course...(my friend & her teenage daughter are unable to attend) they are for one adult and one student (the holder of the student may be asked to produce a student card at the door). pls contact me thru this forum. note that under 13s are not allowed because of the dark theme of the work.

PS. just in case pple are wondering... i am just super enthusiastic if i find something worth being that for and i am in no way involved in this production - how i wish i were though!

re. BLUEBEARD

hi everyone, as of a few seconds ago, the free tickets have been taken up.

pls do check out the event anyway - promise it'll be worth your while!!!

here's the link again:
    http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalSe...bluebeard.html

Hey watch out for 6th october (Sat) will be a good night for live music!

First, from 8pm till 11pm is Underground 48, with four interesting Hong Kong bands playing at The Cavern (Lan Kwai Fong). Its only $80 and there's some Asahi beer special so you're not paying Lan Kwai Fong prices even though you're in Lan Kwai Fong!
    http://undergroundhk.com

Then from 10:30pm til late (and they usually start late too) is HKLive! With three bands, one of the bands are from the Phillippines. You've probably seen the ads all over HK magazine. Thats $150 on the door, or $100 beforehand. Happening at the Fringe Club which is just round the corner from Lan Kwai Fong!

Dawnjoy - any review of the gigs you went to?

most unfortunately, nope. was away from hk on urgent business and only just returned to hk! sigh... anyhow looking forward to getting down to checking out some gigs in the next few weeks or so...

Oh no! What a bummer!! Well, maybe see you tomorrow night at The Underground!

hi bbchris,

just want to thank you for posting about HKlive! i went for a try because I have read at least twice on this forum about this event. I really really liked Kjwan. They were really musical and dynamic. i felt they really meant their music and enjoyed it, not just as performance and for show.

didn't really like Lee though. I read the description and thought i'd like her. but she sounded a little pop...

anyway, thanks for the info! hope you'll post about good bands again!

melody

no problem Melody! Always happy to help
    I didn't make it to see Kjwan but I know they are great!

Three of the bands playing at The Underground on Saturday were AMAZING - the sound system is SO GOOD in The Cavern.

So last weekend was great weekend for the local music scene

And if y'all don't mind the "grungy-ness", go check out The Wanch (in Wan Chai, 54 Jaffe Road) this Tueday, 23rd. They've been doing some bands showcases there regularly. Not the shinniest or prettiest of places, but another spot where some local bands play.

Definitely go check out one of the Underground shows if you get a chance, always offers a good cross mix of different local bands playing.

There are quite a few local indie bands around town, but you really have to work at it to know who is playing where when. There really aren't that many venues that support local live bands. Can check out http://forum.talkmusic.org/ the site is in both English and Chinese.

Just off the top of my head, here are a few places where we go to see live music (not cover bands):

Underground shows at The Cavern
    The Wanch
    Fringe Club
    FCC when they have a special show
    Joyce Is Not Here (on Peel St)
    Le Rideau, when they have live music
    Bohemian (but lately it's closed??)
    Gecko
    Sticky Fingers in TST east (when they were running the Battle of The Bands), awful name, I know...
    The Warehouse Teenage Club in Aberdeen

We stumbled upon this place called Bloomers last night and saw some very "exuberant" jazz performance.

As for international acts, if you can afford to shell out some money, Eddie Palmeri and Ornette Coleman will be performing in this year's HK Arts Festival. Venues are usually rather restricting and disappointing, but hey, beggars can't be choosy, right?

What HK really need is a club like House of Blues, or like the old Tipitina's in New Orleans. Doesn't have to be huge, just great space, great warm sound, and some funky good times... ah well...

Sadly, that's all I know. So if y'all know any other places, do let me know. Thanks.

Interestingly enough, one way I've been trying to keep up with upcoming acts (especially the smaller ones) are through a few groups that have been set up on facebook (which often link to other sites), for example

HK Live! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4707418617

Music, bands, DJ's HK!
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2387688716

Beats magazine
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2463846879

As far as I'm aware, some good venues are cavern, insomnia (yes cover bands but they can be really good - trust me as I never saw cover bands back at home?!), fringe club (eg for jazz), le rideau (nice french place), joyce is not here (cosy little place)...Heard of others but haven't gotten around to checking them out yet.

BTW Linking Park is coming to HK on 20 November.

Also I hear Black Eyed Peas will be in Macau this Saturday, does anyone know how one can get tickets as perhaps not surprisingly, I can't see this on the HK ticketing site..

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast