Scuba Diving

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scuba Diving

As my user name suggests, I'm a really keen scuba diver! I'll be moving over in November. Does anyone know of any good dive clubs based in Hong Kong? I'm PADI qualified and don't really want to go through all the BSAC hoops unless they're happy for PADI divers to dive with them?

Hello Daisy,

I'll be moving to HK somewhere Nov/Dec. too and also a keen scuba-diver. So also verry intressted in any information regarding dive clubs, etc ?

Have you thought about any gear you're going to bring ?, or are you going to rent in HK. I am a bit worried that they might not have European sized wetsuits, etc
    Does anyone have any experience in this ?

I will pass this onto my wife as well as she may have some more information (does all the research). We moved here in march and are avid scuba divers. We did not find an PADI dive <b>clubs</b> but several PADI dive shops. We did find a club through BSAC (a different training organization) but they required too much work to be certified to dive with them (we were both rescue divers at the time) - http://www.marinedivers.com.

The dive shop we use (ProDive) - http://www.prodive.com.hk - has a very good selection of dive equipment to rent or buy so I don't think you will have a problem with sizes. They also do lots of training (we got our dive master certification) and plan local as well as travel dive trips. Beware though, you have to push or watch for "western" local trips if you don't want to literally dive with 50 people speaking a language that you may or may not be able to understand. They often REALLY fill their boats (all the dive shops).

Try the international lounge in the HKdiver forum:

http://hkdiver.com/viewforum.php?f=22

I'm a PADI instructor...what would you guys like to know? The diving here isn't that great, visibility sucks, but its diving. Some groups plan trips to better sites around the region.

The model that I've really enjoyed in the UK (which isn't exactly fantastic for diving either!) is to join a fun dive club, do occasional wreck etc diving in the UK and then weekends/weeks diving away. Part of what I enjoy about being in a good dive club's when you can meet on a really rubbishy rainy evening and talk about diving! So I guess I'm looking for a dive club of some sort to do some weekends away with.

As far as kit's concerned, I'll probably bring my own wetsuit, BC, fins, mask, regs and computer. (Ie: pretty much everything!). I generally prefer using my own kit.

Since there doesn't seem to be a Padi dive "club" maybe we should start the process of creating one?

I think that's a fantastic idea. I can do some digging around in the UK and ask some friends who run a dive club about what we might need to do. Do you have any thoughts on getting something like that going?

Shnezhen has better diving sites than in Hong Kong

Have you guys ever tried diving in Shenzhen where has the better dive sites than in Hong Kong? The beach resort there only needs 2+ hours to get there by car. Lux bus from Hong Kong and public tansit from the Shenzhen city can get to the nearby town called Nanao (11km from the beach). Visa is required to enter to China. Shenzhen is better shopping than in Hong Kong.

You may stay for a weekend at the local beach resort or bring your own tent staying on the beach. Very peaceful feeling. Avoid to get there during the May 1st and Oct 1st golden week holiday. It packes with local visitors.

Check www.PADI.com for the PADI centers there or http://www.dive-centers.net for other dive centers in Shenzhen

If you would like to join the club to meet new friends and find buddy, you should participate the local diving clubs. Check http://www.diverssite.com/links/index.php for the dive clubs in Shenzhen. Some of them do have expact diving members. I highly recommend you to look for dive center there with English speaking instructor from English speaking countries for easy communication and safety.

Diving season is from late March to November. March to June is the best for visiablity.

Good luck and have fun dive

diving with prodive

i dived a lot with prodive until last year when I was too busy . I dived every weekend almost from june to september . visibility varies from 2metres at worst to up to 10 metres . Always took my camera and snapped off pics of different things . Nothing 'big' to see but plenty of life if you look for it and stay away from the mass learners.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast